Info & Advice on my suspension set up. - Yamaha Raptor Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Info & Advice on my suspension set up.

Hey all

I have a bit of an issue with my 2011 Rappy. I feel that the front end pops up way to easy when going over rough terrain, especially when doing hill climbs. I put my big butt forward as far as I can go and lean into the handle bars but she still likes to come up. I feel like since I installed my ITP 20's in the rear and 22's in the front this issue has surfaced, I did not have this problem with the stock wheels and tires on. Yesterday I actually had a little accident on a small hill climb, near the top my front wheels came off the ground and I could not steer away from a small tree. I hit the tree with the side of the right tire and clipped the handle grip causing me to stall. I tried to backed it down the hill but when my rear wheels hit the bottom she tipped backwards on me. Thankfully I just sprained my wrist, and scratched the plastic a little on the bike.
I was wondering if I should try adjusting the suspension or is there something else I can do to help keep the front down on hill climbs?
Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.
I think I'm going to invest in a stablizer for next spring too.

2011 Raptor 700R Wht/Red
-ITP T-9 Pro Series Wheels, ITP Trac Star Tires, ODI Rogue Grips, Pro Armor Bumper, Pro Armor Full Skid, Amsoil 0-40 Oil w/ Wix Filter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 12:30 PM

Well always remember that hill climbs are where most of the accidents happen! I actually steer clear of most of them. And Sticking my chest out thinking I'm a badass rider usually just gets me in trouble. Let the other dipshits screw up their bikes!
And yes there is a lot you should do to set up your suspension! Check out this thread as it really helped me! Now keep in mind this thread is for raptor's with shocks that aren't quite as advanced as yours are! This thread only talks about shocks with one compression setting so you will just have to adjust your compression to your liking! https://www.raptorforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9697

08 Raptor700r,HDD5050 cam,Web springs,CP 11.1 piston,AMSOIL intake,Pc5,Barker duals/billet clamps,Dynatek ignition (DL700curves),Dynatek coil w/iridium,1 1/8 Pro tapers,TTriser's,TT Vapor comp.,ITP slotted mags,Razr-2'S,Hauler extremes,Upper n lower intercoolers,AGT HID's,GYTR skids,Proarmor F/R grabs,SLC+4 ladder bar,Lonestar Adj.+1-+4axle,ELKAstage3's,15t renthal,HD clutch,TM Case saver,DR.d Key n rev. relo.,FoxV3, contour hd 1080p helmet cam with waterproof case.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 12:35 PM

By putting 22" front tires on the bike you've changed the COG, and put the nose of the machine farther into the air. A 1/2" might not seem like much, but when you're teetering on the edge of balance on a hill climb it can be a lot. Also, it's quite possible the new rear tires grip better than the stock ones did, and that same amount of throttle now sends the nose skyward instead of inducing more wheel spin as the stockers did.

Making alterations to the suspension, specifically lowering front preload to drop ride height and stiffening the rear shock's compression and/or preload should help some.

Mike

Photobucket is trash now, use something else.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 01:27 PM
Modding Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dog View Post
By putting 22" front tires on the bike you've changed the COG, and put the nose of the machine farther into the air. A 1/2" might not seem like much, but when you're teetering on the edge of balance on a hill climb it can be a lot. Also, it's quite possible the new rear tires grip better than the stock ones did, and that same amount of throttle now sends the nose skyward instead of inducing more wheel spin as the stockers did.

Making alterations to the suspension, specifically lowering front preload to drop ride height and stiffening the rear shock's compression and/or preload should help some.
+1..I'd switch back to the stock tires if you have them or at least with a 21" or taller Rear tire.

2008' Raptor 700R

PC5, Monster Intake
HIPer Tech 3's
Maxxis Razr's
+2 LSR DC4 LT A-Arms / Motowoz LT
+2 LSR Swinger / Motowoz Rear Shock
+2 LSR Anti-Vibe Stem
LSR Axcalibur Axle
Barker Duals
Precision Stabilizer
Pro Taper Evo CR Hi w/ODI Grips
ASV F3 Pro Model Clutch & Brake Lever
Streamline Extended Cables
+2 Streamline Brake Lines
A/C Black Line Nerfs
Blingstar DC Bumper
Blingstar Billet Accessories
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input!
I'll throw the stockers back on the front and see if it makes a difference if I get a chance before the harsh weather comes. If not I guess it will have to wait untill spring time. I'll read up on the suspension tuning and tweak it a little too. Any recomendations for a steering stablizer?

2011 Raptor 700R Wht/Red
-ITP T-9 Pro Series Wheels, ITP Trac Star Tires, ODI Rogue Grips, Pro Armor Bumper, Pro Armor Full Skid, Amsoil 0-40 Oil w/ Wix Filter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode