Raptor Forum banner

Check engine light when starting

25K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  HarryCallum111 
#1 · (Edited)
I was riding in the dunes when suddenly the throttle stopped working (It wouldn't give the engine any power), and then engine stopped. When I tried to start the bike again, the check engine light came on when pressing the start button. The light doesn't flash, it just comes on. I checked all the electrical wires on the reverse and neutral sensor, as well as the TPS, and spark plug. I checked all the fuses, and they all seem fine
When pressing start, it will turn over, but wont start, almost like it's not getting any fuel.

What is wrong?

#4 · (Edited)
Yes, it was full before I left. About 2 minutes into the ride, the throttle stopped working, and the engine died.

My engine light comes on when i start mine each time. My buddies Raptor 700 does the same thing.

I know that doesn't solve your issue, but the light coming on i don't think is part of the issue. I'm not sure what to test but it does sound like, Injector, TPS, TB issue type issue. Check the fuel pump as well.
I've checked the fuel pump, relay, and electrical. I might need to take it into a local bike shop, and see what they can find.
Everything sounds normal when trying to start the bike, but it just wont run, like there's no fuel being injected.

#3 ·
My engine light comes on when i start mine each time. My buddies Raptor 700 does the same thing.

I know that doesn't solve your issue, but the light coming on i don't think is part of the issue. I'm not sure what to test but it does sound like, Injector, TPS, TB issue type issue. Check the fuel pump as well.

#5 ·
Have you checked to see if you have a spark - take the plug out and put the lead back on it and hold the spark plug against the engine. When you wind it over you should SE a spark. Sorry if you already know this but not everyone does.:)

To check if you have fuel getting in, take the plug out and wind the engine over, you should see fuel vapour coming out the hole.

#6 ·
You were right, I didn't check for the spark properly the first time. The bike bike would start when it was cold, but as soon as it warmed up it wouldn't start again. It turned out to be the ignition pickup, no spark at all. The part just got worn out.

#7 ·
I just put my quad back together I put a 11:1 piston in it. It ran just fine before I took it apart. My buddie did a first start up and it started on the second crank. So we finished putting it back together and fired it up and went to the gas station and shut it off filled it and took off. Went about 3 miles at steady throttle through all the gears. Went to take a turn and give it throttle and died. It would crank but not start. There was an engine light on but did not catch how many blinks. Got back to the garage and put the charger on it fired up and kept firing till the next morning.

#10 ·
damn, that is pretty bad...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.