Clean your oil screen! - Page 3 - Yamaha Raptor Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahn007 View Post
I find it difficult to believe the oil screen could get that filthy in a machine that gets scheduled oil changes. I will definitely be watching this thread to see how this turns out....

That pic was most likely off of a blow up raptor. Even though, I do regular oil changes at 40 hours and there was definitely some dirt on mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mattzila likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 11:59 AM

This should be a "sticky"
morphrider and mattzila like this.
post #23 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 12:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptordude View Post
Quote:
I find it difficult to believe the oil screen could get that filthy in a machine that gets scheduled oil changes. I will definitely be watching this thread to see how this turns out....

That pic was most likely off of a blow up raptor. Even though, I do regular oil changes at 40 hours and there was definitely some dirt on mine

You think it's dirt or just clutch lining material you are seeing??

post #24 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 04:07 PM

Quote:
You think it's dirt or just clutch lining material you are seeing??

I think it was a nightmare! Because that's what I'm gonna think if I open mine up and that's what I find!

2014 Raptor 700R, Racers Edge tuned 734 Big Bore, CP 12.5:1 piston, Web 4 cam, 54mm Billet throttle body, +2 +2 KW valves/springs, HPS SS XP2 head, Monster Big Bore Duals, MSD fuel controler, Milers custom radiator, ProTaper handlebars, AVS Pro's, ODI grips, Alba Racing nerfs, Alba front bumper, Pro Armor rear grab bar, Custom tripple rate Jogaca shocks, ITP rims, Maxxis Razr XC's, 21" 9 paddle Skat Trak Extremes for the dunes!
post #25 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 08:03 PM

So I changed my oil today and pulled the screen out for inspection. First off, it's kind of a pain to get to and I dosent seem like Yamaha even made it to be serviced with the placement and position of it. Had to unbolt the tank and maneuver it around to get to the two Allen head screws. But once I did get it out there was a little bit of garbage on it. A small amount of rtv flecks from the last time I put it together I'm guessing. And what upon further inspection looked like lint with misc pieces of tiny debris attached to it mixed with oil. I'll tell you one thing, I'm glad it's there to catch all those little bits of crap that somehow made its way in there, and all in all I was pretty impressed on how clean it was after the two years I have owned it. I am pretty good at changing the oil regularly and I use the same high quality oil and filter every time. Yamaha original equipment oil filter, and Motul V300 10w-40. One of the best oils on the planet imo. The top oil used in moto gt racing all around the world. Those bikes run over 200mph and turn over 17k rpm for hours on end, and Motul is the oil that keeps everyone of them alive! Enough said!
mattzila and raptordude like this.

2014 Raptor 700R, Racers Edge tuned 734 Big Bore, CP 12.5:1 piston, Web 4 cam, 54mm Billet throttle body, +2 +2 KW valves/springs, HPS SS XP2 head, Monster Big Bore Duals, MSD fuel controler, Milers custom radiator, ProTaper handlebars, AVS Pro's, ODI grips, Alba Racing nerfs, Alba front bumper, Pro Armor rear grab bar, Custom tripple rate Jogaca shocks, ITP rims, Maxxis Razr XC's, 21" 9 paddle Skat Trak Extremes for the dunes!
post #26 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-14-2016, 10:29 PM

Happy for you that the screen wasn't in bad shape, sounds about how mine looked. You're right that the thing sure doesn't seem like its meant to be serviced, but man the relief I felt when it was done. Now that you mention it I'll prolly do mine again since I did the top end again last summer, and I'm waiting on rear bearing carrier anyway.

I wouldn't wanna be a member of any club that would have me.
06, 11:1, HC3, +3TB, Barkers, PCV w/DL700 timing+autotune, rigid light bar, HIDs in stock housings, 2 AUX floods, FCI w/box, Fastflexx bars, JOGACA shocks, driveline performance clutch with full fiber mod, pro armor nerfs, honda thumb throttle, sixpack rack(holds 12 if still in the box).
'74 wife, w/big 2.
post #27 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 10:17 AM

Did mine yesterday. Clean as a whistle. But I change oil and filter every 7 hours or so. Bike just hit 30. Was easy to get off. Just un mount it so you can move it up some. Then put allen wrench on each bolt. Pull out. Drain what's in line. Hit with brake cleaner.
mattzila likes this.
post #28 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Yeah at 30 hours it should be clean. My raptor had 200 hours on it when I checked it and it still wasn't too bad

post #29 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 10:09 AM

Garage
doing my oil change today, for sure checking this since mine is a used quad
post #30 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 01:04 PM

I will be doing this as part of my maintenance tomorrow

2013 Raptor700R
2010 R1
2006 GSXR600
2012 CRF150R supermoto
2010 TTR50

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode