First time Raptor owner. Help please - Yamaha Raptor Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Unread 07-21-2019, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

First time Raptor owner. Help please

Hi, im new to the site and raptor 700s. Iv owned two banshees and a cr500 so im no rookie at turning wrenches and riding. I just cant figure out whats wrong with it. Was running fine until i sprayed it off with water. Now its cutting off when i pull off slow in first or gearing down to first. The bike idles fine but does seem idled high at rev. When i let off the throttle it backfires but goes back to idling smooth. The bike is stock head to toe. Here is what iv done so far

Checked TPS with meter. Reading .67 - .68
I placed the negative on the battery and the positive on the yellow wire. Located on the back of the harness that connects to the TPS.

Checked battery voltage. Reading 12.6v

Battery terminals are tight.

Fuel pump is priming

Replaced plug with ngk cr8e plug.

Checked how hot the motor was getting. Its around 243 degrees with no sign of fan turning on.

I am still riding the gas it came with. Guy said it was good. Should i dump and refresh?
Could it be time for a valve adjustment?
Maybe it needs jetting?
Could the gas cap be bad?

Any help would be appreciated. Im backed in a corner on this one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190721_154855(1).jpg
Views:	10
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	132995  

Last edited by CarolinaRaptor700; 07-21-2019 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Edit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Unread 07-21-2019, 09:36 PM

If it was running fine till you hosed it I would say you have water in a connector somewhere. I would start with your on/off switch on your bars, pull it apart and hit it with contact cleaner (or air if you have no contact cleaner). Then depending on where you were spraying water, start pulling connectors loose and spraying them out. Ideally if you do this, you can help prevent this in the future by spraying connectors with contact cleaner then applying dielectric grease on the connector when you put it back together. Good luck
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Unread 07-21-2019, 10:03 PM
POTW Moderator

Garage
Welcome to the forum, Gil had some good pointers but I will add this.

-dump whatever gas he had, put in fresh pump, highest available from pump
-adjust valves, you have no history, PM me for a service manual
-no jetting involved on a 700, these are fuel injected
-check the one way valve on the cap
-243 seems a bit hot with no fan, I think they kick on around 220. How are you figuring the current temp?

[U]2006 raptor 700

DMC Force 4's, FCI W/box, Dynatek Fusion
CP 11:1 piston, BaMotorsports porting, HC3
RacersEdge +3TB
YFZ 450 fronts & reworked rear by JOGACA
Trailtech 1 1/8 xbar w/vapor dash & Vapor installed
ODI Rogue grips & ASV pro pack levers
PRM Edge Baja bumper w/12" Cree spot/flood bar
PRM Desert grab bar
PRM A-Arm skids, GYTR skid, ProArmor swinger skid
Fastway steering stabilizer
68HP 49TQ

PM me if you need service manuals

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Unread 07-21-2019, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team 2 gils View Post
If it was running fine till you hosed it I would say you have water in a connector somewhere. I would start with your on/off switch on your bars, pull it apart and hit it with contact cleaner (or air if you have no contact cleaner). Then depending on where you were spraying water, start pulling connectors loose and spraying them out. Ideally if you do this, you can help prevent this in the future by spraying connectors with contact cleaner then applying dielectric grease on the connector when you put it back together. Good luck
Thanks for your response. The on/off switch seems to be working fine. I slide the switch to run/ then turn key/ fuel pump primes/cranks just fine and idles. I will blow out connectors tomorrow with contact cleaner.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Unread 07-21-2019, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphrider View Post
Welcome to the forum, Gil had some good pointers but I will add this.

-dump whatever gas he had, put in fresh pump, highest available from pump
-adjust valves, you have no history, PM me for a service manual
-no jetting involved on a 700, these are fuel injected
-check the one way valve on the cap
-243 seems a bit hot with no fan, I think they kick on around 220. How are you figuring the current temp?
Thanks for responding. I will dump gas in the morning. Can i siphon the gas out or should i remove tank?

I will have to order tools to adjust valves. Whats needed and where cn i get them local or online? I may have the tool that you slide under the valve spring. Im guessing the valves get tighter as they wear. Whats a proper gap for the valves?

One way valve on the cap is behind the cap with two screws right?

I thought 243 was hot for the fan not to come on. Maybe a bad fan. Ill test tomorrow.

I still have my temp meter from when i had nitro rc cars and trucks. Seems to work fine. I can find another way to test. To confirm a accurate reading.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Unread 07-22-2019, 02:19 AM
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Garage
If you have a '06 - '08 it may be a wet TPS sensor. Run a hair dryer on it for about 1/2 hour to dry it out. Keep water away from it.

Did water get past the gas cap into the tank?

Test the gas cap by blowing in the hose, but can't suck out.

Battery voltage at 12.5 is considered 50% discharged. Be sure voltage increases when running. Trickle/float charge a few days to 13.6 - 14.2 volts.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM.

2007 RAPTOR 700, SAND QUAD, 11:1 CP, +5 HR CRANK, PC3, +2 TB, LONE STAR XC +1, +1 A-ARMS, HD TIE RODS, JOGACA REAR SHOCK, ASV LEVERS, +4 REAR AXLE, DR.D REVERSE, ODI GRIPS, 1 1/8 CARBON BARS, DG BUMPER. BILLET: GAS CAP, BRAKE COVER, THROTTLE LEVER, BAR MOUNTS. LED LIGHTS'
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Unread 07-22-2019, 04:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEZPERADO View Post
If you have a '06 - '08 it may be a wet TPS sensor. Run a hair dryer on it for about 1/2 hour to dry it out. Keep water away from it.

Did water get past the gas cap into the tank?

Test the gas cap by blowing in the hose, but can't suck out.

Battery voltage at 12.5 is considered 50% discharged. Be sure voltage increases when running. Trickle/float charge a few days to 13.6 - 14.2 volts.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM.

Thanks Dez.

Should i test the TPS with ignition on? I will blow dry it off but has been sitting in my hot garage two days since i rinsed it so hopefully that helped. Ill never wash this quad again, only bird baths from here on out lol. Can i hot glue over the whole TPS to waterproof it?

I doubt water got pass the cap. I only rinsed the motor, swing arm and tires.

Will test cap soon.

Your right the battery voltage should be higher. Ill just buy another one today. Do you guys keep your battery on a trickle charger 24/7 when not riding or just disconnect the cables?

Temps are getting up to around 243 degrees and the fan wont come on. Looks like it had better days
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Unread 07-22-2019, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Update.

I checked the gas cap. Its good.
I got the battery at oreilys getting charged. Ill see if it makes a difference.
I checked the TPS again and couldnt get a reading this time (weird). I got a reading the first time. Does this mean its bad? Think ill check a third time when i get home.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Unread 07-22-2019, 04:12 PM
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Garage
Run a hair dryer on your TPS.

A good automatic trickle charger will float between 13.6 and 14.2 volts and can be left on . A cheap charger may overcharge if left on for more then a few days. If so, you can use a in-line timer, with the charger, set for 1 hour or so per day.

2007 RAPTOR 700, SAND QUAD, 11:1 CP, +5 HR CRANK, PC3, +2 TB, LONE STAR XC +1, +1 A-ARMS, HD TIE RODS, JOGACA REAR SHOCK, ASV LEVERS, +4 REAR AXLE, DR.D REVERSE, ODI GRIPS, 1 1/8 CARBON BARS, DG BUMPER. BILLET: GAS CAP, BRAKE COVER, THROTTLE LEVER, BAR MOUNTS. LED LIGHTS'
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Unread 07-22-2019, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Update

Battery checked out good. I tested the TPS again and it was off a little. Meter reading was 0.65 so i upped it to 0.69 with in spec. I noticed it sounded a lot better idling. I gave it some throttle and no backfire until it warmed up. The bike seems to be getting hot fast so i shut it off. I think its running lean. Not sure if the backfire is coming out the pipe or filter. Fan still not working. Guess ill check the fan relay before i buy a fan.

What should i do when rappy 700 runs lean?

Starting to feel like 2 grand was to much for this raptor.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in