Clunking and clicking (gears) - Yamaha Raptor Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Clunking and clicking (gears)

When I am in neutral is it normal for the transmission to make a clunking noise when I shift to 1st? It doesn't do this all the time. Also when I am in reverse and I shift up to enter 1st, it will not engage in 1st until I release the clutch slightly till I hear a click noise. The quad does seem a little slow, through second and 3rd it just doesn't seem to have as much power anymore, it is revving but not going very fast. Hopefully the clicking and clunking when shifting gears sometimes is solid proof that the clutch is slipping and it isn't just me thinking the quad is slower than usual.

Yamaha Raptor 700 06'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 11:30 AM

Yeah it sounds like your clutch is slipping. The reverse thing is normal though.

2007 Raptor 700R SEii - Blue and White
-FMF Factory 4.1 Exhaust
-K&N (No Lid) w/ power plate and outerwear
-Quad Works FI Powerbox
-AC Blackline Nerfs
-AC Blackline Front Bumper
-Pro Taper Bars
-15T Front Sprocket
-AMR Graphics
-ODI Xtremes

2007 Raptor 700R - Grey, Silver, and Red
-AC Blackline Nerfs
-Sparky Delete
-Bone Stock... for now.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

So the click when coming out of reverse is normal but the clunk when going from neutral to first is not? And if so is the clunk most likely being caused because the clutch is slipping? I hope so, saves a load of faffing around trying to find the cause of the problem and if the clutch is that bad it needs replacing I will have some fun with it first popping the clutch all over the place.

Yamaha Raptor 700 06'

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendall View Post
When I am in neutral is it normal for the transmission to make a clunking noise when I shift to 1st? It doesn't do this all the time. Also when I am in reverse and I shift up to enter 1st, it will not engage in 1st until I release the clutch slightly till I hear a click noise. The quad does seem a little slow, through second and 3rd it just doesn't seem to have as much power anymore, it is revving but not going very fast. Hopefully the clicking and clunking when shifting gears sometimes is solid proof that the clutch is slipping and it isn't just me thinking the quad is slower than usual.
None of what you describe here is abnormal. Your clutch might need to be adjusted but maybe not. Mine does it when the idle is high (cold engine). The reverse thing is 100% normal.

'08 Raptor 700R SE (Click for pictures)
Performance: 11.5:1 Tech Piston · HC2 · Pro-Design + K&N + Outwear · No Lid · Lexx EFI · Barker Duals · Iridium Plug
Comfort: DiamondJ +4.5" Kit · G-Force Axle · Stadium Shocks · Beadlocks on all 4's · 22" RAZR2 Fronts · 20" GNCC's Rear (4snow during winter time!)
Protection: Pro-Armor Belly Skid · PRM Swing Skid · Pro-Armor Fat-Pegs · PowerMadd Handguards
Candy: ESR Temp Gauge · 60cx Garmin GPS · Full Cut Fenders · TrailTech 55W Halo Headlights
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcraptor View Post
None of what you describe here is abnormal. Your clutch might need to be adjusted but maybe not. Mine does it when the idle is high (cold engine). The reverse thing is 100% normal.
Seems like I have been forgetting how mental the raptor is. I don't think it is my clutch slipping, I think it's my wheels that are just spinning not getting any real traction. Even though the tires were new when I got it I think the tread lost from me ragging it around might be the reason for the loss of traction which is making me think the engine is revving really high but not giving much power out. I will have to wait till it's dry and take it on the road.

Yamaha Raptor 700 06'
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendall View Post
Seems like I have been forgetting how mental the raptor is. I don't think it is my clutch slipping, I think it's my wheels that are just spinning not getting any real traction. Even though the tires were new when I got it I think the tread lost from me ragging it around might be the reason for the loss of traction which is making me think the engine is revving really high but not giving much power out. I will have to wait till it's dry and take it on the road.
I was answering to the first part of your post.. Didn't read about loss of speed. That could very well be a slipping clutch.

'08 Raptor 700R SE (Click for pictures)
Performance: 11.5:1 Tech Piston · HC2 · Pro-Design + K&N + Outwear · No Lid · Lexx EFI · Barker Duals · Iridium Plug
Comfort: DiamondJ +4.5" Kit · G-Force Axle · Stadium Shocks · Beadlocks on all 4's · 22" RAZR2 Fronts · 20" GNCC's Rear (4snow during winter time!)
Protection: Pro-Armor Belly Skid · PRM Swing Skid · Pro-Armor Fat-Pegs · PowerMadd Handguards
Candy: ESR Temp Gauge · 60cx Garmin GPS · Full Cut Fenders · TrailTech 55W Halo Headlights
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 05:00 PM

Try to adjust your clutch cable. Ont the engine side, loosen the adjuster on the end of the cable and screw the cable into the adjustment nut, letting the spring and crank lever out towards the back of the bike. Then adjust your free play in your clutch lever with the top adjustment on the end of the clutch lever.
Mine is adjusted all of the way out right now and it feels like mine is slipping sometimes. I'm just waiting for it to crap all of the way out. I use it as an excuse when I lose drag races. LOL

2007 Raptor 700R SEii - Blue and White
-FMF Factory 4.1 Exhaust
-K&N (No Lid) w/ power plate and outerwear
-Quad Works FI Powerbox
-AC Blackline Nerfs
-AC Blackline Front Bumper
-Pro Taper Bars
-15T Front Sprocket
-AMR Graphics
-ODI Xtremes

2007 Raptor 700R - Grey, Silver, and Red
-AC Blackline Nerfs
-Sparky Delete
-Bone Stock... for now.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 01:06 PM

I use it as an excuse when I lose drag races. LOL

Oh your so bad LOL. Anyway you got a raptor you shouldent be losing...LOL

I try really hard to give the right info when you need it but id rather make people laugh. Their aint enough laughter in this world.

2009 Raptor 700R SE - Mods: Runkind light covers and speed limiter blue wire cut

Can now provide most manuals for most makes and models and years. Send me an email at [email protected] BE SPECIFIC: YEAR/MAKE/MODEL add Hiya Frenchie in your email so i know your from this forum. My manuals galore thread https://www.raptorforum.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=95852
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 09:07 PM

I have a 2012 raptor 700 and one day I was riding my chain came off and rap around the front sprocket so I put the chain back on and then it started making these crazy noise clunk sound but the noise goes away when I grap the clutch so I put new clutch in and it still making noise......... CAN SoMEBODY Help me 😔😔😔
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnard700 View Post
I have a 2012 raptor 700 and one day I was riding my chain came off and rap around the front sprocket so I put the chain back on and then it started making these crazy noise clunk sound but the noise goes away when I grap the clutch so I put new clutch in and it still making noise......... CAN SoMEBODY Help me
Welcome to the forum.

Why did the chain come off in the first place? Have you fixed that problem?

Does it do it in every gear? Nuetral? Can you upload a video to youtube and post a link so we can hear it?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

07' Raptor 700- 11:1, hotcam 3, Pro design intake with K&N, +3 throttle body, Monster big bore duals, MSD with cuervo timing, JOGACA shocks, trail tech VAPOR, GYTR heel guards & bumper & nerfs, .250 aluminum skids, TM case saver, folding anodized levers and shifter, powermadd hand guards

04' raptor 660-Hot rods crank, .5mm overbore, 11:1 wiseco piston, Stage 1 hotcam, Yoshimura slip-on exhaust, K&N filter with outerwears, open lid airbox, Dynojet stage 2 jet kit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode