4Likes
  • 1 Post By BlackSupra
  • 2 Post By BlackSupra
  • 1 Post By morphrider

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
How to install the HID kit

So here is a quick tutorial how install a HID kit to a raptor. I captured only the important stuff. If you don't know what are you doing than I advise you not to do it since this is one way mod and once you start cutting your lights there is no way back unless you buy new ones. There is quite a lot of improvising and doing it on your own.

The most important things you'll need:

- HID-BI-XENON-Headlight-Projector-Kit-Halo-Angel-Devil-Eye-55W
- 2 20A+ relays (I used 30A)
- waterproof rotating switch (The best way or two switches like me to achieve same functionality)
- wires (black, red, or any other colour if you desire)
- soldering iron
- other minor electrical stuff
- I assume you allready have a 10mm wrench, screwdriver, oven, drill, etc.

The result:

* Step 1 Dissasembling

Disassemble the raptor for easy access to the headlights and electrical wires. Just take the plastics off. No need to remove the intercoller or anything similar. Undo the 10mm bolt on top of the light and pull it off from the two remaining holders. Both are on rubber and come off fairly easily.

* Step 2 Opening the lights

Take off the lights and put them in a oven so the silicon becomes flexible. Preheat the oven to 150C and put the light inside (with no bulb and other cables) for about 2 minutes. When placing the light inside put it on wooden panel or something so that the heated grid inside the oven won't damage the soft plastics.
Put some gloves on and take out the light. With a help of a friend that has a flat screwdriver unclip the light and disassemble it. The silicon is some kind of Japanese masterpiece and its extremely strong so use the force.

* Step 3 Modifying the lens

After this there is no way back.

Cut the default cables of the light between the connector and the light assembly. You will need the black and yellow wire to control the shutter for the HI beam. Use the lense so you can adjust the light elevation and that the light will be centred and pointed directly upfront. Remove the inner holder for the light bulb. I used some long nose pillers and twisted the holder all the way around. Once the steel part is out grind the hole a bit to make the back of projector fit. You can test it by putting it in on the opposite side. Once the hole is big enough mark the lens and start cutting it. Use the angle grinder for the job. Don't use any cable cutters or anything similar since the plastic is very rigid and will crack or brake off in large segments. After a while you should end up with something similar.

* Step 4 Electrical wiring

First of all I threw away the wiring harness controller since it was useless to me and was wired in such weird way that it couln't possibly work. I used only the connectors.
This may be the most complicated and time consuming part of the whole thing. Once you made the projector fit in the projector and everything in back in the light assembly (with no front plastic) mount the light back to the frame and start wiring it. Instead of the rotary switch I used two normal waterproof switches. The functionality is the same. I'll upgrade to rotary once I get it. For the relays I used 4 contact 30A car relays and hot glued the bottom part to make it waterproof. Use cable ties to hold everything in place, rubber hoses and shrinking tube to make everything water, dirt and damage resistant.

Both lights mounted.

Electrical wiring nearly completed
Cammy likes this.

2016 Raptor 700R, Street legal, HID kit, 15T front, AIS delete, Jogaca suspension, Adjustable rear link, LSR 2+1 A-Arms, Axcalibar axle, PC5 w/timing and autotune, full Dasa exhaust, Talon 36T rear or stock 38T

Last edited by BlackSupra; 08-06-2019 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Images re uploaded to different server
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Here is the difference. It can easily beat one or two 35W led lights. The visibility is vastly improved. The only problem might be that the lights are to high since the stock elevation controller can only be adjusted to some degree and after you hop on it its beam gets only higher.

Black Edition and ian77 like this.

2016 Raptor 700R, Street legal, HID kit, 15T front, AIS delete, Jogaca suspension, Adjustable rear link, LSR 2+1 A-Arms, Axcalibar axle, PC5 w/timing and autotune, full Dasa exhaust, Talon 36T rear or stock 38T

Last edited by BlackSupra; 08-06-2019 at 12:43 AM. Reason: re uploaded pictures to different server
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 02:36 PM

Great tutorial and wow what a difference. I don't do much night riding but the HID kit is awesome. Great post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 05:24 PM
POTW Moderator

Garage
Great job. I made this a sticky so it should stay at the top for future references.
BlackSupra likes this.

[U]2006 raptor 700

DMC Force 4's, FCI W/box, Dynatek Fusion,
CP 11:1 piston, BaMotorsports porting, HC3
RacersEdge +3TB
YFZ 450 fronts & reworked rear by JOGACA
Trailtech 1 1/8 xbar w/vapor dash & Vapor installed
ODI Rogue grips & ASV pro pack levers
Fastway steering stabilizer
68HP 49TQ

PM me if you need service manuals

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode