How to properly install a Helicoil or Powercoil - Yamaha Raptor Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
VIP

How to properly install a Helicoil or Powercoil

Ive read, seen and heard of guys being skidish about Helicoils so here we go on the ins and outs of thier wonderful use. If youve got a stripped or pulled threaded hole this is the key of getting it back together without having to replace the said part. Just simply go and buy you a Helicoil or Powercoil kit and get it fixed. Just simply drill out the damaged threads with the supplied/recommended size drill bit.
After you clean al of the chips out of the hole and clean it out with brakeclean take the tap that came in the kit to cut the threads for the Helicoil, be sure to use Tapmagic or some other tapping fluid(even some WD40 will work) to make cleaner cut threads unless your tapping cast iron then do it dry:

Once you tap the hole all the way to the bottom clean the chips out again with some brakeclean:

Take your Helicoil install tool and an insert and follow the instructions of how to install it.
Once you start to thread the insert into the hole take light pressure to guide it into the threads and twist it into position all the way flush with the top of the hole:

Once its all the way in make another half turn to drop the insert just below the surface:

Now, be sure to take the tool or a screwdriver to break the tab off the bottom of the insert and remove the broke off tab.
Your done. BTW, if you are repairing a sparkplug hole or something you dont want a chance for the tab to fall into just use some needlenose pliers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 10:00 PM

Great writeup Bo, thanks.

Mike

Photobucket is trash now, use something else.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
VIP

Your welcome. A properly installed Helicoil or Powercoil is stronger than when the original threads were new.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 10:07 PM

I agree, I've got one in the bottom end holding my cylinder on

Mike

Photobucket is trash now, use something else.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 10:49 AM

crankcase oil drain bolt

Ok so I stripped the threads in my crankcase and was told my the Yamaha service guy that helicoils leak. If it is installed properly will this happen?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
VIP

It will not leak. When you put a helicoil in somewere thats in contact of fluids use Loctite 262 on the Helicoil when installing it and let it setup before putting the bolt in. Also when you are drilling and tapping in those areas that you dont want chips to fall in put axle grease in the flutes of the drill and tap and that will hold the debri.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 03:58 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelociRaptor View Post
Also when you are drilling and tapping in those areas that you dont want chips to fall in put axle grease in the flutes of the drill and tap and that will hold the debri.
Worked great for me!

Also another type of thread replacement is Time Sert. They are a solid piece versus a coiled wire.

Chris
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
VIP

Correct, I use Timeserts when theres alot of material around the damaged bolthole but the threads are stripped so bad the hole is already bigger than the helicoil size that replaces it. Timeserts are a tad bigger than Helicoils. Another thing Ive done is drilled and tapped a hole out for a larger bolt size, installed that size bolt and then cut it off flush and drilled and tapped the middle of the bolt.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 03:12 AM
Banned

Hey bo, when you do the bolt drilling and tapping, don't you have to use a really low grade bolt? Can you actually drill and tap a grd 8?
thanks
craig
just a wondering
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
VIP

Correct, I use a low grade bolt if I had to rig up a timesert.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode