Raptor 700 Oil Change Procedure - Page 2 - Yamaha Raptor Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 10:49 AM

I dident see replace the crush washer after each oil change might be a good idea to add it. I always put a new one in on the underbelly drain plug. They cost like 10 cents just an extra precaution. And also dont over tighten those bolts they all strip easy.

I try really hard to give the right info when you need it but id rather make people laugh. Their aint enough laughter in this world.

2009 Raptor 700R SE - Mods: Runkind light covers and speed limiter blue wire cut

Can now provide most manuals for most makes and models and years. Send me an email at [email protected] BE SPECIFIC: YEAR/MAKE/MODEL add Hiya Frenchie in your email so i know your from this forum. My manuals galore thread https://www.raptorforum.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=95852
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whofarted View Post
I have a CFM oversized aluminum oil tank. Anyone know how much extra oil they hold?
According to the CFM Ebay Store:

Quote:
Our oil tank holds 10% more oil than any other aftermarket oil tank. It holds 1.25 more quarts than your stock oil tank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast frenchie canada View Post
I dident see replace the crush washer after each oil change might be a good idea to add it. I always put a new one in on the underbelly drain plug. They cost like 10 cents just an extra precaution. And also dont over tighten those bolts they all strip easy.
I don't replace the crush washer very often, in fact I don't recall ever changing it when it wasn't leaking. That said, it's certainly not a bad idea for as cheap as they are and should make it less likely to over-tighten the drain plug.

Mike

Photobucket is trash now, use something else.

Last edited by Mad Dog; 11-16-2010 at 08:12 PM.
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 04:56 PM

Thanx for the info.

post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 04:51 PM

Ok so I've decided to change my oil. But first I was curious as to the engine oil level first as it was done by the dealer the first time (at 10 hours). So as per the manual I warmed 'er up for a good 4 minutes and shut 'er off. Then I put 'er on level ground and checked the oil in the tank. When I opened the cap a ton of oil was leaking out of the filler cap and oozing down the side of the tank. Assuming the manual is right, the oil level should be between the F and E, right? I'm I missing something here or did the dealer screw me and overfill it?

2011 Raptor 700R
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 09:21 PM

it shouldnt matter where you put it, it should circulate, just make sure you put enough in
post #16 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 05:54 AM

Change the oil filter drain the tank and then undo the under belly plug open the crankcase plug so it will ooze out faster then replace everything. Add one quart to the tank and add one to the crankcase. Your done. Start it up. Rev it a little shut it off check oil level in tank you should be toped off and ready to fly. Dont do like the stupid dealer and overfill it. I recommend synthetic oil when your break in is good and done.

Had mine new and changed the oil and filter out after 10 hours. then another 10 hours later changed the filter again and the oil and put in synthetic oil. Runs awesome.

I try really hard to give the right info when you need it but id rather make people laugh. Their aint enough laughter in this world.

2009 Raptor 700R SE - Mods: Runkind light covers and speed limiter blue wire cut

Can now provide most manuals for most makes and models and years. Send me an email at [email protected] BE SPECIFIC: YEAR/MAKE/MODEL add Hiya Frenchie in your email so i know your from this forum. My manuals galore thread https://www.raptorforum.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=95852
post #17 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 08:04 AM

I just got my Raptor and the oil & filter to change the oil so this thread caught my attention. I read the manual a few times and it never does "clearly" say to pour oil directly into the crankcase.

The two are called Engine oil filler cap (The one with the dipstick) and Crankcase engine oil filler cap.
But I do notice they vary a little on the exact wording at times if you you read the steps carefully. So that may be where the confusion is.

12) Install the engine oil filler cap, and the tighten it to the specified torque.
(Notice it didn't say Crankcase engine oil filler cap)

13) It states "Pour only 1.37US qt of the specified amount of the recommended engine oil through the engine oil tank filler hole"
(Now since the tank is referenced it must mean the one with the dipstick attached)

2007 Yamaha Raptor 2/8/2011-
Amsoil Synthetic Oil
GYTR Sport Bar, Engine/Frame Skid, Swing Arm Skid
Dr. D Reverse, Voyager Trail Tech, Houser Nerf Bars

2018 Grizzly 700 Camo EPS
2018 CFMoto CForce 500s
1987 Yamaha Warrior (1986-1989) Was heavily Modified.
post #18 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 09:26 AM

Do what you want! I just took the info from the pros on here and they have yet to be prooved wrong. Have fun.

post #19 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast frenchie canada View Post
Change the oil filter drain the tank and then undo the under belly plug open the crankcase plug so it will ooze out faster then replace everything. Add one quart to the tank and add one to the crankcase. Your done. Start it up. Rev it a little shut it off check oil level in tank you should be toped off and ready to fly. Dont do like the stupid dealer and overfill it. I recommend synthetic oil when your break in is good and done.
Thanks fast frenchie canada for your response.

Yeah, that's exactly what I had done and it seems to be good to go. Instead of putting the original crankcase plug back in, I installed one of those magnetic (12mm) plugs instead from TM designs. Now both plug are the same size which is nice. <sarcasm> Next time I see the dealer/service dude I'm going to thank him for overfilling. </sarcasm>

2011 Raptor 700R
post #20 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 10:08 AM

No problem, If you only fill it in the tank it aint good you need some in the crankcase also so its all lubricated. 1 quart in the tank and i quart in the crank and check the oil you should be perfectly toped off once you have started it up and shut it off with a couple off blips on the throttle to move it around real good. I am each time i do it that way. And mag plugs are good just dont over tighten and dont follow those recommended torque numbers they are full of it. Just tighten by hand then give it a 1/4 turn with the ratchet and you wont strip them out because the crankcase is made of aluminum and real buttery soft so dont go crazy or you will regret it. Use a crush washer on that belly bolt its just an added precaution. I do all this everytime and havent had a problem since i bought my baby brand new. Now tell me this how do you like that Rappy?

Before i forget seing this is your first Raptor i think, when your break in is done ajust your valves yourself just search for MPleaver. He made a really good thread on it with pics. I did it with an oil change in about 45 minutes or so then you do it after every year and it will always run like new. Its too easy and you wont need to spend money to have it done.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode