Raptor 700 HID (bi xenon HIDs) install (How To) - Yamaha Raptor Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Raptor 700 HID (bi xenon HIDs) install (How To)

This is a H6M 6000K Bi Xenon HID kit installation on a 2007 Yamaha Raptor 700 SE2.

The H6M Bi-Xenon HID kit is located here. This kit is $70 shipped from Kryptonbulbs.com to anywhere in the US.

The H6M bulb is a Very common bulb on quads, rhinos , and even some of the old 3 wheelers like the Tri-Z's. There are well over 50 machines that I know od that use this bulb, and im sure many more that I dont know.

So, knowing that these fit many quads, feel free to share this thread or copy and paste anything you like onto any quad forums you are a member of to get the word out on these things.

Ok, first lets run through what the kit includes:
2 Bi Xenon H6M HID Bulbs
2 Slim AC Ballasts with mouting plates and hardware
2 Individual Relay kits
Instructions
8 Zip ties

OK, to start off I removed the Front Fenders, the seat, the radiator shroud and the tank cover. This gave me plenty of room to work and route my wires nice and clean.

I then removed the Stock Bulbs and set them aside, at this point I installed the new HID bulbs, They are a weird bulb with a spring loaded base, but once you have them in hand they are pretty easy to figure out.

I then got to looking at the stock wiring and soon realized (as I figured) that this was not going to be a plug and play operation. I did a test fit of the wires from the kit to the harness and I did get them to fit but I was unhappy with them:

wires from kit:

Harness from quad:

(the blue wire from the kit attaches to the top right prong, and the white wire from the kit attaches to the top left, the bottom is a ground and is not used as the ground is picked up straight from the battery in a later step)

Harness from quad and wires from kit connected:

Now, I tested the system at this point and it did work but decided for 2 reasons to not do it this way.
Reason one, I just plain did not like the wires left in the connector this way.
Reason 2, I wanted to get the dust cover or grommet off the stock wires.

So I cut the short stock harnesses to splice into, These harnesses are $12.50 each from yamaha so if you had to or wanted to go back to stock, its only gonna cost 25 bucks to be completely factory again.

I spliiced the wires, Blue to Yellow and White to Green

Then taped each wire individually

And Finally taped the entire harness

Here is the pics I forgot to take....
I mounted the ballasts, one off the gas tank mount and behind the radiator and the other down behind the light on some module or something that has a heatsink on it. I wanted to do them both behind the radiator but I just did not have the room.

I then installed the grommets / dust covers over the wires from the new bulbs, I had to cut holes in these covers to get the new larger wires through (these covers come with the harness for $12.50 each from yamaha) this one a cut a little big by mistake, the other came out perfect. the bulb itself does a good job of filling the hole, but I wanted these in place as well)

At this point I made all the connections for the system, they are very simple and you really cant screw them up unless you plug the bulb into itself or something crazy like that. Everything only fits in 1 spot so its almost impossible to screw up. I also connected the harness I crimped onto the wires of the HID kit to the factory connection at this time.

I then zip tied the extra wire together and mounted it where it will be covered by the fenders

07 Raptor 700 SEII: Monster Duals, CP 11:1 piston, Stage II Hot Cam, Trinity Intake w/ K&N filter, PCIII, Pro Armor Fat Peg Nerfs, Spider Grips, 15T front Sprocket, Kryptonbulbs.com 6000K HID kit

Last edited by SS396ChevelleSS; 09-22-2010 at 08:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Then I ran and zip tied the power wires for the relay harness, in the second pic, under the front of the tank, the long skinny Black thing is the Relay for this system.

Then I connected the wires for the system to the battery, Black to negative and Red to positive.

I Tested the light system once again to make sure it worked and then proceded to put the fenders, radiator shroud, battery cover, tank cover and seat back on the machine.

Then I took her outside and enjoyed seeing daylight at 11PM

lows

highs

lows

highs

And Finally a video of the system in action... not sure if you can hear me talking, I havent watched it yet:

07 Raptor 700 SEII: Monster Duals, CP 11:1 piston, Stage II Hot Cam, Trinity Intake w/ K&N filter, PCIII, Pro Armor Fat Peg Nerfs, Spider Grips, 15T front Sprocket, Kryptonbulbs.com 6000K HID kit
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 09:00 PM

Hey man I have basically the same kit and I installed it. Well it all turns on and wow man it is hella bright. But for some reason one ligh just turns itself off right in the middle of a ride. And all I have to do is turn the headlight switch off and back on and it turns on again. The wiring all seems fine. And once when it shut off I left the motor running and light switch on then wiggled all of the connections and nothing! No light. So It cant be a short. Do the ballasts turn themselves off if they get hot or do you have any ideas

08 Raptor700r,HDD5050 cam,Web springs,CP 11.1 piston,AMSOIL intake,Pc5,Barker duals/billet clamps,Dynatek ignition (DL700curves),Dynatek coil w/iridium,1 1/8 Pro tapers,TTriser's,TT Vapor comp.,ITP slotted mags,Razr-2'S,Hauler extremes,Upper n lower intercoolers,AGT HID's,GYTR skids,Proarmor F/R grabs,SLC+4 ladder bar,Lonestar Adj.+1-+4axle,ELKAstage3's,15t renthal,HD clutch,TM Case saver,DR.d Key n rev. relo.,FoxV3, contour hd 1080p helmet cam with waterproof case.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

yeah, that can happen if a ballast gets too hot... Im wondering the same thing with mine seeing as the ballasts are behind the radiator... I figure time will tell and I will relocate them if I need to.

Do you know what kind of ballasts you have? Digital? Analog? are they slims?

Oh, good grounds man, do your grounds hook up to the battery or the frame? a poor ground can cause this too. Once it does the Ballast goes into a safe mode and wont reignite until power is turned off and back on.

Another thing can be low voltage, how is your battery? If its starting to go this can cause it too.

There are warning cancellers available at the site too which are basically a capacitor, these plug in before the ballast and might help it out if its a voltage drop issue

Last edited by SS396ChevelleSS; 09-22-2010 at 09:25 PM.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS396ChevelleSS View Post
yeah, that can happen if a ballast gets too hot... Im wondering the same thing with mine seeing as the ballasts are behind the radiator... I figure time will tell and I will relocate them if I need to.
I mounted my ballasts and relays to the crossmember just behind the radiator. They are about 4" behind the radiator.

Do you know what kind of ballasts you have? Digital? Analog? are they slims?
Here is a link to the kit I have. I think they are digital 55w. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Oh, good grounds man, do your grounds hook up to the battery or the frame? a poor ground can cause this too. Once it does the Ballast goes into a safe mode and wont reignite until power is turned off and back on.
The one that keeps shutting off the relay is grounded to the bolt that holds the ignition coil to the frame. It seems like a very solid connection.

Another thing can be low voltage, how is your battery? If its starting to go this can cause it too.

The battery is new! Maybe 100 hrs on it and I always keep it hooked up to a battery tender when it's just sitting in the shop.

There are warning cancellers available at the site too which are basically a capacitor, these plug in before the ballast and might help it out if its a voltage drop issue
Wouldn't both lights shut off if this was the case? It's just the one light that keeps doing it. The vendor that I bought the kit from wants me to switch the bulb to the good side and see if the problem goes to that side. And if not then do the same thing with the ballast. He didnt mention the relay but I'm guessing if the first two arent the culprit then next would be the relay. Kinda frustrating though hahaha!!!!!!!!!!!

08 Raptor700r,HDD5050 cam,Web springs,CP 11.1 piston,AMSOIL intake,Pc5,Barker duals/billet clamps,Dynatek ignition (DL700curves),Dynatek coil w/iridium,1 1/8 Pro tapers,TTriser's,TT Vapor comp.,ITP slotted mags,Razr-2'S,Hauler extremes,Upper n lower intercoolers,AGT HID's,GYTR skids,Proarmor F/R grabs,SLC+4 ladder bar,Lonestar Adj.+1-+4axle,ELKAstage3's,15t renthal,HD clutch,TM Case saver,DR.d Key n rev. relo.,FoxV3, contour hd 1080p helmet cam with waterproof case.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenter View Post
Wouldn't both lights shut off if this was the case? It's just the one light that keeps doing it. The vendor that I bought the kit from wants me to switch the bulb to the good side and see if the problem goes to that side. And if not then do the same thing with the ballast. He didnt mention the relay but I'm guessing if the first two arent the culprit then next would be the relay. Kinda frustrating though hahaha!!!!!!!!!!!
Its almost always the ballast if it is a problem with the HID kit, the last and last and last as long as the glass is not damaged it seems.

Personally I would swap the ballasts and see if the problem moves, I know its more work but its the most likely thing to cause a change and if it moves when you move them you know its the ballast, not a connectoion or anything else. If it does you probably have a tempermental ballast.

It could even be a poor connection where you spliced in, if it were to arc at all on the splice it would probably also send the ballast into its safe mode

post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS396ChevelleSS View Post
Its almost always the ballast if it is a problem with the HID kit, the last and last and last as long as the glass is not damaged it seems.

Personally I would swap the ballasts and see if the problem moves, I know its more work but its the most likely thing to cause a change and if it moves when you move them you know its the ballast, not a connectoion or anything else. If it does you probably have a tempermental ballast.

It could even be a poor connection where you spliced in, if it were to arc at all on the splice it would probably also send the ballast into its safe mode
O.k. I will double check the two spliced connections. And Then if that doesn't work then I will switch the ballasts. Hopefully it's just a connection problem and not the ballast. I dont want to wait for a new one LOL Here is a video I took out in the dunes last night in HD

post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenter View Post
O.k. I will double check the two spliced connections. And Then if that doesn't work then I will switch the ballasts. Hopefully it's just a connection problem and not the ballast. I dont want to wait for a new one LOL Here is a video I took out in the dunes last night in HD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOQ_yrloAkg
How did this work out for you?

post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 08:34 PM

Well I rewired the only two splice connections and it didnt make a difference. The ballast on that side sometimes makes a little sqeeling noise upon starting up. And sometimes it makes the noise and doesnt light up at all so I have to turn the switch off then back on and bling there it is haha! Not positive but it's either a bad ballast or low voltage I think. But if it was low voltage why doesnt the other one ever do it WTF!!! The vendor says he's not sure but he's sending me a new ballast just in case thats the problem.
Hey those ones on your bike look great man! Really bright hahaha!

post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 08:48 PM

Stickied, thanks for the great write up!

Mike

Photobucket is trash now, use something else.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Raptor Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode