Raptor Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone seen or put on one of those LED whips on their ATV? I am looking at adding one 6’ LED whip to my kid’s Raptor 90 to increase visibility and bring an element to make things a tad bit more fun/exciting.

Looking at a “5150 Hyper whip” brand. Thoughts/ opinions? Google photo (not 5150 whip product but same idea) for your viewing pleasure only.
Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a 5150 whip on mine. Their mount makes it easy to switch between a daytime whip and an LED whip. Its also holds the whip secure.
Hell yeah! Thanks for the feedback. I bought two 6’ 5150 hyper whips today. One for each of my kid’s Raptor 90s. One is blue and the other is pink. I do have one Baja Designs S1 LED pod for forward lighting for each ATV. Hopefully the Raptor 90’s electrical system can handle both (one 6’ 5150 hyper whip and one BD S1 pod). I should be fine 🤷‍♂️

I’ll post up a few photos once I get these installed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These whips are awesome! I am very pleased with them. Only issue? The mounting tab on the back of the ATV needs to be reinforced if you plan on runnng this set up. My kids were just chilling on some mild whoops and the mounts on both their ATVs broke with a few hours. Bummer. So, I gotta get something better welded up before our next trip!
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust

In the interest of keeping the party going, I drilled a hole in the rear grab handle but the supplied bolt was not long enough :(.

The whip on my TRX400EX ATV lasted the entire trip. But the mounting tab had about twice as much weld so it was much more secure. Here is what a 6’ 5150 red hyper whip looks at night (A very slight amount of smoke in the air from a nearby campfire):

Sky Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire

What do you think?

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have a homemade grab bar and welded a 3/8” thick tab for the whip mount. It is super solid. I don’t think a thicker tab would hold on yours any better than what you have already do to the thinner wall tubing that it is made out of. Making new grab bars would be an excellent weekend dad project with the kids.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^ I am very intrigued by your comment. It seems like a complete no-brainer that I didn’t even realize. I honestly don’t have the tools or the metal working experience to pull something like this off. But, I will absolutely check out the aftermarket and some of my local metal fabricators.

I am curious if you can post up a couple photos of the rear grab bar you fabricated. Only if you have time and if it’s not an inconvenience. Thank you for your input.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The sides that mount to the frame are 1-1/2” x 3/8” thick flat and the ‘bar’ is 1” tube (unknown wall thickness but I’d guess 1/4 to 3/8”). You may not have the tools or know how but every one starts somewhere. Do you know someone with a welder? Is there a community college nearby that offers a welding class?

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The sides that mount to the frame are 1-1/2” x 3/8” thick flat and the ‘bar’ is 1” tube (unknown wall thickness but I’d guess 1/4 to 3/8”). You may not have the tools or know how but every one starts somewhere. Do you know someone with a welder? Is there a community college nearby that offers a welding class?
I do have a community college nearby and taking a welding class has always been on my “to-do list.” I guess now is the time to push that into a reality. I was hoping to get something sooner than later due to the thanksgiving riding weekend coming up.

I want me kids to have their cool whips up and running. I’ll have to seek a fabricator or local welder for the time being. However, I do like the look of what you built. My factory grab bar is welded to the frame. Did you do the same? Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
233 Posts
My grab bar is bolted to the frame via two bolts on each side. There are nuts welded into the frame.

Another option for you is to just buy a wire feed (Mig) welder and watch some youtube videos. The initial financial sting of the welder will hurt but the long term savings of being able to fab your own stuff will pay for it after a few projects. That is what I did except it was trial and error as it was before youtube existed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My grab bar is bolted to the frame via two bolts on each side. There are nuts welded into the frame.

Another option for you is to just buy a wire feed (Mig) welder and watch some youtube videos. The initial financial sting of the welder will hurt but the long term savings of being able to fab your own stuff will pay for it after a few projects. That is what I did except it was trial and error as it was before youtube existed.
I’ll think I’ll do that 100%. I am going to pick up something from harbor freight, definitely something on the lower end of their product selection, and give it a try. Who knows, maybe I’ll really enjoy it, find other projects and get an upgraded unit down the road. Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts