Raptor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hellos Guys! Question for you all, maybe you can help me
Iv bought a 2001 raptor 660r the other day needs a few things but its all fine and dandy
my problem is whenever i turn the Key to the ( on ) slot position
the fan immediately kicks in.
The raptor runs fine just wanted to know how to fix this problem.
all though the coolant in the back near the grab bar was on the ( LOW ) level mark
went out for a few spins now the coolant in the bottle went from the low mark to a few centimeters up from the low mark..

How can i fix theses things...

Thank you everyone for viewing this thread! ☠

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Welcome to The RAPTOR FORUM! Sorry, I'm not much help with your issues. I just wanted to welcome you first (not that it's a contest, but if it was I won, this time). The coolant level will rise when the bike is warm, the thermostat I'll let the smart guys help with but maybe your thermostat is stuck or you've a wire exposed.

Just answer whatever questions these guys ask and perform whatever tests they tell ya too and they'll get you right in no time.

·
I am unique
22,619 Posts
iiℛaptor ☠;3270089 said:
Hellos Guys! Question for you all, maybe you can help me
Iv bought a 2001 raptor 660r the other day needs a few things but its all fine and dandy
my problem is whenever i turn the Key to the ( on ) slot position
the fan immediately kicks in.
The raptor runs fine just wanted to know how to fix this problem.
all though the coolant in the back near the grab bar was on the ( LOW ) level mark
went out for a few spins now the coolant in the bottle went from the low mark to a few centimeters up from the low mark..

How can i fix theses things...

Thank you everyone for viewing this thread! ☠
WELCOME TO THE FORUM..............
the bike you have acquired has had the fan wired to run all the time or the relay is stuck on, which Ive never heard of before. But it is possible, The fluid rising in the overflow bottle is normal when the engine warms up.

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
10,572 Posts
You'll need your repair manual and trace the fan wire to find the fan motor relay, coolant temp sensor, etc and repair/rewire as needed.. You might check with the previous owner for information.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM.

·
Master of the Electron
14,507 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

There is no fan relay on the 660... the battery voltage comes from the key switch, then through a auto-reset circuit breaker, then to a thermostatic switch (on the bottom of radiator) then to the fan motor.

Often, if the thermstat has failed (or if the owner just wanted more fan cooling), they will short around the thermostat to make the fun run continuously. Look for a wire that doesn't look like it belongs at a connector near the switch on the radiator.

Get the manual, learn the wiring diagram at the back... until then, wiring should be:

12V from key switch is on Red/White stripe wire into the breaker (14)
Red/white from breaker to thermostat switch (15)
Blue from thermostat to fan motor (16)
Black from fan motor to ground

From the manual's wiring diagram:

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts