Raptor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the bike in the shop and Land A one way installed a month ago. I had valves adjusted and had broken air fuel mixture screw was replaced due to being broke bike was overlooked by mechanic. Mechanic said bike ran awesome and it did. Issue is i had it out last weekend riding and ran fine all day. Last thursday i was riding with a buddy and it kept dying and was spittn and sputtering and backfiring. I switched the tank switch to reserve and it ran fine after that. I had it in the on position before that. bike has aftermarket cdi box and k and n filter also has spark plug wire upgrade. Other than that bike is stock but runs like a stripped ass ape. ???

·
Registered
127 Posts
have you checked the parking brake rev limiter? its a white plug behind the left headlight if your sitting on the bike. might have to take the headlight out to get to it. there is a sticky on it. also have you cleaned the carb? how well does fuel flow from the petcock? could it be clogged? how about the vent tube from the gascap? is it clogged? is jetting all stock? check these and report back.

·
Master of the Electron
15,059 Posts
I don't understand... bike ran awesome then started spitting and sputtering, which was resolved by turning the petcock from normal to reserve...

You ran out of gas! What else is wrong?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
So I guess the bike was running out of fuel and all is well now right.........

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
01 660

thanxs for the replies i havent had time to ride bike again im military and work on occasional weekends. No carb was torn apart and cleaned by mechanic. i filled the tank up before i ran and was about 20 min into riding when the problem hit. I just bought the gas from a station too.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Does it matter if tank switch is in run or on reserve.
Negative.............
In reserve it drains the tank, so if it was never driven in reserve before there may be water down in the bottom of the tank that could cause the problem, clean the tank and carbs again.........

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
spiitn and sputtering

could i just run heet through the tank or stabil instead of draining the tank. Would either one of them hurt the bike.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
could i just run heet through the tank or stabil instead of draining the tank. Would either one of them hurt the bike.
If you suspect the tank is dirty, remove the tank, and clean it properly, you dont want to be stranded along a trail later if not done properly...........

·
Master of the Electron
15,059 Posts
Sure you can try... but it won't guarantee a fix. If you don't want to break down on the trail again, pull the tank, empty and clean it. Pull the petcock, clean its screen and tubes. Clean the carbs.

Shortcuts may get you there - but you may not get back!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sure you can try... but it won't guarantee a fix. If you don't want to break down on the trail again, pull the tank, empty and clean it. Pull the petcock, clean its screen and tubes. Clean the carbs.

Shortcuts may get you there - but you may not get back!
I had this same problem 2 years ago while riding,rode on reserve till i got home.I took the petcock out and the screens were plugged..Drained and cleaned the tank and screens and havnt had a problem since..:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts