Raptor Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys i just bought my first atv last week with no second gear, the second gear goes but motor rev up as if teethe are missing or clutch slipping. All other gears ok and work good. I took out the motor second day i had the machine- dissassembled the case halves to find all gears ok other then the plastic oil pump and oil pump drive gears missing bout 7 teeth nothn to do with second gear. I know 01 got second gear proble with teeth braking, hoping that was the issue here, im stumped and would love help from anyone wanna figure out why second freewheels? I have checked forks and gear selector for wear or damage and look ok.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
It's not the teeth on the gear but the engagement dogs on the side of the gear.

This thread should help ya.
http://www.raptorforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44659
What you look for is where the second gear locks into the driver portion of the gear beside it, you must really look a the engagment area and see if the edges are rounded, and it doesnt take much wear to cause a problem.............

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok guys, i will take a closer look at the gears at my buddys shop tomorrow, take you guys so much, should i upgrade to the yukon gears? i plan on riding hard and keeping the machine for awile and want it reliable, also where do i buy the plastic oil pump driver gears i cant find them on ebay, and do they got upgrades for those too?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yukon Gears or get a 02 Tranny either way will be good. My 01 has had no Tranny issues but from what I have read is that those are the best 2 options.

·
Registered
68 Posts
i had the same issue with mine....tore it down last week about gears looked good.....apon further inspection the shift drum was wore on the second gear side.....honstly i had looked at it numerous times before i noticed that it was wore.....it doesnt take much wear for it not to go into gear all the way and it slips....as for the oil pump gear....check to make sure the gear on the back of the clutch basket is ok as well....when i got my quad it was the same issue and the oil pump had sucked up a little piece of steel and was jammed up....make sure the oil pump turns smooth and replace if there is any question about its health.....its worth it now when the motor is already apart.....just my 2cents...lol

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm having a similar issue and would like some advice too. All my gears look good, but i did notice some rounding of the engagement dogs on what I think is the 4th gear that mates to 2nd grear(or do I have it backwards)? On the output shaft it's the second gear from the left and those dogs mate to the gear on the right. When I pulled the clutch cover, the pressure plate is very gouged up and 2 of the tines on the clutch were broken off. I found some metal pieces under the clutch, but nothing in between the case. Can anyone help or provide pics? Sorry to hijack the thread

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I'm having a similar issue and would like some advice too. All my gears look good, but i did notice some rounding of the engagement dogs on what I think is the 4th gear that mates to 2nd grear(or do I have it backwards)? On the output shaft it's the second gear from the left and those dogs mate to the gear on the right. When I pulled the clutch cover, the pressure plate is very gouged up and 2 of the tines on the clutch were broken off. I found some metal pieces under the clutch, but nothing in between the case. Can anyone help or provide pics? Sorry to hijack the thread
Start your own thread, it is easy.................

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
guys i took a closer look the dogs are not broken and there is minimal wear on the tips of them for engament wear, i looked at the selector drum and there is little wear on tips of groves i guess my only solution now is to get a complete 02+ gear set complete, which i was avoiding, hopin to get the yukon gears swapped on my existing shaft, not knowing if the gears are the issue or the drum now as there is no evident damage to know that it will resolve issue. what u guys think????????????

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
guys i took a closer look the dogs are not broken and there is minimal wear on the tips of them for engament wear, i looked at the selector drum and there is little wear on tips of groves i guess my only solution now is to get a complete 02+ gear set complete, which i was avoiding, hopin to get the yukon gears swapped on my existing shaft, not knowing if the gears are the issue or the drum now as there is no evident damage to know that it will resolve issue. what u guys think????????????
If your tranmission is jumping out of gear, it isnt the gears or teeth that wear, it is the engagement dogs on the side of the gear that is worn and or rounded...........:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Good question, I just had the same issue. The dogs I was talking about being rounded are on 5th gear. No evidence of anything wrong with 2nd at all.............drum appears ok??

1 - 17 of 17 Posts