Raptor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
My 01 660 has a k&n filter setup dyna jet jet kit and and drd pipe. I'm having major difficulties getting this thing running correctly. I was riding one day and was mid throttle 3rd gear when it bogged down and backfired and spit and sputterd all over like crazy. I researched many other threads and had no luck. Heres a list of things I've tried. O yea and it sat for a few months and began to leak out gas out of the over flow on the carb bowls.

New gas
New plug
Checked valves
Rebuilt carbs inspected by yamaha
Disabled rev limiter for reverse AND parking brake
Getting healthy CONSISTANT spark
Runs with gas off while spraying starter fluid fine.
When it's running badly after it dies it has fuel pouring out of intake where filter connects.
I can smell fuel in the oil reservoir.
New (used) stator!

Someone please help me! I'm desperate for answers and advice!

·
Registered
47 Posts
O yea and it sat for a few months and began to leak out gas out of the over flow on the carb bowls.
Check your carb float height.. see the sticky for the clear tube method for instructions.

I can smell fuel in the oil reservoir.
Had the same problem and it was hard to jet correctly. Problem was this seal leaking:

Hope it helps..

·
Registered
349 Posts
Agreed! Check float height, and also verify needle and seat are good.
Yes check float height and while you have the carbs off check the boots for any holes in them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The carbs have been completely rebuilt including the float needle and valves. Yamaha dealer adjusted float height. They said everything checks out and looks correct. Any other ideas?

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
The carbs have been completely rebuilt including the float needle and valves. Yamaha dealer adjusted float height. They said everything checks out and looks correct. Any other ideas?
This part of your question: "O yea and it sat for a few months and began to leak out gas out of the over flow on the carb bowls."

Is this before you took it to the dealership or is this the current problem? if it is the current problem then you have a float open. You will have to inspect it to see where the problem is as everyone else has stated.

If that statement was before you took the bike to the dealer and your only problem is this:
"mid throttle 3rd gear when it bogged down and backfired and spit and sputterd all over like crazy."
Well then, you may have a whole host of issues but some you have addressed already like the rev limiter. Check Air intake boots leaking, or the bike running out of gas for whatever reason, or again floats stuck open or closed or leaking past needle and seat.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Everything to my knowledge has been checked over SEVERAL times, the leaking issue was before I fixed them. No leak from boots and like i said before, the quad runs just fine with gas off while spraying starter fluid into the intake. I guess what im asking is what else in the carb could cause it to flood out as bad as it is? Its no longer leaking fuel and floats are adjusted to spec. thanks for the help but more is needed!

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Everything to my knowledge has been checked over SEVERAL times, the leaking issue was before I fixed them. No leak from boots and like i said before, the quad runs just fine with gas off while spraying starter fluid into the intake. I guess what im asking is what else in the carb could cause it to flood out as bad as it is? Its no longer leaking fuel and floats are adjusted to spec. thanks for the help but more is needed!
So clue me in on the jetting specs of your bike's carbs, float height, pilots, mains and needles, also what are the mods done to the bike, intake and exhaust, and what do you mean by the bike bogging out or flooding out...........

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All the bike has is a drd slip on exhaust,and the k&n filter setup, the mains are 160-165, one side has a larger jet for some reason, the needles are on the 3rd notch from top. Im not completely sure what the pilot jets are, When i say its bogging down, i mean its like pouring a bucket of gas into the cylinder and falling flat on its face. when i let off the throttle it will try to idle then eventually die. If i run all the gas out of the bowls with the petcock in the off position it will try to start back up again. Once its completely out of gas in the bowls, I turn the petcock to the on position and if i do not touch the throttle it will idle quite fine, but the second i hit the gas it floods itslelf out. I have to be missing something in the carbs but i know im not retarded and yamaha couldnt have missed it too! I know someone here could fix it if they where around it. Keep the advice coming guys!

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
All the bike has is a drd slip on exhaust,and the k&n filter setup, the mains are 160-165, one side has a larger jet for some reason, the needles are on the 3rd notch from top. Im not completely sure what the pilot jets are, When i say its bogging down, i mean its like pouring a bucket of gas into the cylinder and falling flat on its face. when i let off the throttle it will try to idle then eventually die. If i run all the gas out of the bowls with the petcock in the off position it will try to start back up again. Once its completely out of gas in the bowls, I turn the petcock to the on position and if i do not touch the throttle it will idle quite fine, but the second i hit the gas it floods itself out. I have to be missing something in the carbs but i know im not retarded and yamaha couldn't have missed it too! I know someone here could fix it if they where around it. Keep the advice coming guys!
Float level too high, or pilots are incorrect size, or the fuel screws need adjusting.
Telling me that pouring a bucket of gas into the cylinder, really doesn't tell me much, since there is no way to do that and it would be quite detrimental to the engine, the rod most likely would be bent, or piston smashed. Tell us more of how the bike runs in your words rather then the way you have, maybe that will trigger a better response..........:)

·
Registered
247 Posts
You should explain your symptoms in this manner:
1. My bike idles well,or coughs and dies,or doesn't idle.
2. At low throttle, the bike runs well,or bogs/bucks/jerks badly, or has no power
3. At mid thottle, the bike runs well,or bogs/bucks/jerks badly, or has no power
4. At 3/4 throttle, the bike runs well,or bogs/bucks/jerks badly, or has no power
5. At WOT throttle, the bike runs well,or bogs/bucks/jerks badly, or has no power

Explain any noises/backfiring the motor is making and when it happens, on acceleration/deceleration, etc.

We aren't there so if you want a helpful response you need to explain what your bike is doing in detail...

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
You should explain your symptoms in this manner:
1. My bike idles well,or coughs and dies,or doesn't idle.
2. At low throttle, the bike runs well,or bogs/bucks/jerks badly, or has no power
3. At mid thottle, the bike runs well,or bogs/bucks/jerks badly, or has no power
4. At 3/4 throttle, the bike runs well,or bogs/bucks/jerks badly, or has no power
5. At WOT throttle, the bike runs well,or bogs/bucks/jerks badly, or has no power

Explain any noises/backfiring the motor is making and when it happens, on acceleration/deceleration, etc.

We aren't there so if you want a helpful response you need to explain what your bike is doing in detail...
I could not have said it any better..............:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts