Raptor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on a buddies '01 Raptor that lost second gear. Basically Just won't go into gear, I can tell it is trying and almost engaging but just grinds and won't go. All other gears work great.

I tore it down and completely inspected the tranny. The shafts, splines, forks, drum everything looks fine. The only thing I could find that was even slightly worn is a very small amount of rounding on the end of the second gear dogs. Really doesn't look like it's enough to cause this problem, but I figured while I have it apart and can't find any other culprit I might as well do the tranny upgrade.

My question is... Can I just buy a used '02 or newer trans and install it or are there other parts that I will need to replace as well to make it work?

Thanks for any info!

Mike

·
Registered
164 Posts
As far as I know, swapping it out for an 02 or new is the easier way to go. I swapped mine out for some 04 gears. Just make sure you get the whole tranny. I bought mine on eBay and it included the input shaft with gears, output shaft with gears, shift forks, shift drum, and reverse/idler gear and shaft. It all was a perfect fit. Other than a gasket kit and possibly some new circlips you should have everything there. (unless you find bad bearings or any other damage).

Your other options would include a set of Yukon Heavy Duty Gears (replaces all the gears that are not the same between the 01 and 02+. Or you could purchase OEM gears to replace the different ones. I am unsure which gears this would consist of though.

I'm sure more people will chime in with other useful information. I am by no means an expert.

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
1st, 2nd and 4th gear i believe + the centre shift fork if you buy the CLYMER's manual (which you should anyways) it tells you every difference including the different gear ratios from 01-02

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys, I'll start searching ebay for a tranny... I have somewhat of a Clymer library, lol just missed that part I guess.

Thanks Again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts