Raptor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok people so i decided to rebuild my carb and adjust my valves to get my 01 660 running better - it had been running good at high rpms but sputtering at low rpms, i got a rebuild kit off of xtreme raptor one ways website, rebuilt the carb everything went together good, i tightened the air/fuel screw i think it is all the way down and 3 turns back. thats what my friend told me to put it at. ok and now for the valves, when i got to them and turned the engine to TDC at least i think it was. i lined up the crankshaft and line on the motor but the valves all seemed pretty tight. so i set the intake valves at .125mm and the exhaust valves and .176mm. i put everything back together and went to start it up and at first it started right up and sounded great, it ran for about 20 seconds and then died. after that when i went to start it, it would barely want to turn the engine over - it almost seemed like it was locking up, i was getting ready to pull start it and i decided to try and start it again and it started right up, i ran it around the yard for like 5 to 10 minutes it sounded so much better at low rpms but it seemed like i lost quite a bit of my power i had before i did the valves/carb. after i shut it off it wants to do the same thing it was before and not turn the engine over when i hit the start button. i am wondering if i did the valves too loose/too tight or didnt adjust the carb right. the valves when i had it running almost reminded me of a sewing machine a little louder than they were before i adjusted them. any help would be very appreciated - also ive changed the one way last month so i know its not that. Thanks.

·
Master of the Electron
14,544 Posts
You realize that there are TWO TDC's (relative to the crankshaft)? Did you find TDC compression stroke, and if so, how? Sounds to me like you adjusted on TDC exhaust stroke.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i went off gman's sticky on valve clearance - http://raptor.popolz.com/adjust.html - i had my gfs dad help me out on adjusting them - he had me turn the crankshaft until the piston was at tdc i guess, then i lined up the crankshaft with the line on the flywheel i think it is, you can see it on gmans sticky, the only thing is that mine had 2 lines on it so i just went with the first. im not sure if i found the compression stroke or exhaust stroke. this was my first time adjusting valves. now that i look back at the post it says "Now to find out if you're at TOP DEAD CENTER (or TDC) I alway use a smaller feeler, if it's not going in, your most likely crank turn off (which means you're

not at TDC). " could that have been my problem? the valves were all pretty tight

·
Master of the Electron
14,544 Posts
2 mistakes here - there are TWO markings on the flywheel: an I and an H. The I is TDC, the H is ignition timing advance. Won't really hurt to use the H, it's very close to the I. However, wrong stroke is serious and could well be your problem. Gman's post has some reference to being on the wrong stroke, but it is not comprehensive enough.

Watch the intake valves while turning the engine CCW by hand. JUST as the intake valves starts to go down (open) you should see the I in the inspection hole. Turn the crank almost another full turn till you see the I again. Now if your turn the crank back and forth over around 1/8 of a turn, you should see no valve motion at all... Line the I back up and you are now at TDC compression stroke.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
k thx for the help im gonna open it back up here in about an hour and see what i can do ill post back when im done

1 - 5 of 5 Posts