Raptor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 01 raptor 660 that i bought last year and used a lot of post on here to get running pretty good over the summer.
In October a new problem came up. I thought it was a carb issue or bad gas as that i was about 2 hours into riding for the day and it came up about 20 minutes after refueling.

I get on the throttle about 1/2 to 3/4 and it bogs down and sputters and sometimes dies. I cleaned the carbs with help from post on here and find out that is not the problem. Had the valves adjusted and they seem to be fine.

Well today i was riding around the block and noticed the reverse light keeps coming on in 1st 2nd and 3rd gear. Cant go any faster than that because block in town is not all that big. Pretty sure will get the same problem in 4th and 5th.
Read on here it might be the reverse rev limiter but it is a pretty much stock 01. Is there any advice or guidance guys?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh yeah i have removed the pb sensor and sealed connection with silicone. Don't know if it is the problem but thought i would get that out there when diagnosing

·
Master of the Electron
15,653 Posts
Most 01's don't have the reverse limiter... Yammi added it near the end of the 01 model year. If, when the light is on, you can still rev well above idle, you probably do not have the limiter.

Below the output sprocket is a connection to a switch in the case - green/white wire with a right angle plug that snaps onto a lug protruding from the switch. IF this connection gets loose/dirty, the reverse light will come on when NOT in reverse. Unplug it, clean all contact surfaces and squeeze the metal clip with some pliers, then reconnect. Assuming the switch hasn't failed, this should resolve the reverse light issue.

When your bike bogs, does it sometimes 'break' through the bog and rev up normally? If so, it is likely still a carb problem - dirty main jet or needle jet (assuming 1/2 to 3/4 throttle is where it's acting up), unless you've done some recent mods like exhaust or airbox changes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When your bike bogs, does it sometimes 'break' through the bog and rev up normally? If so, it is likely still a carb problem - dirty main jet or needle jet (assuming 1/2 to 3/4 throttle is where it's acting up), unless you've done some recent mods like exhaust or airbox changes.
No mods to speak of as far as motor, air, or fuel is concerned. Will try cleaning that connection by thhe drive sprocket as soon as blizzard warning is gone and it warms up a little.

I played with it a little more yesterday and realized that it only boggs down when the reverse light is on but it flickers on and off as i drive it.
If i stay on the throttle through the bogg down period as soon as the light goes off it revs right up and pulls the front end way off the ground.

I pulled the battery and noticed on of the plugs on the cdi was loose. it is the one on the left side of the machine with a single wire(i believe it was green).
I can test it out some more in a couple of days but dont know it the connection was loose this whole time or if it came off when i pulled the battery.

Thanks for your help!

·
Master of the Electron
15,653 Posts
I played with it a little more yesterday and realized that it only boggs down when the reverse light is on but it flickers on and off as i drive it.
If i stay on the throttle through the bogg down period as soon as the light goes off it revs right up and pulls the front end way off the ground.
Okay, then you DO have the limiter, and if the light is flickering on and off, so is the limiter, making the bike run like crap. Fix the connection, if that doesn't take care of it (the light is still flickering), then ground the wire to frame or battery negative. This eliminates the limiter (and the light), but should make the bike run good assuming this was your issue.

That CDI connector with the single wire is the green/yellow stripe wire - this is the parking brake switch wire. If the connector is loose, it shouldn't be causing the problem - you could unplug this connector and, unless water and dirt is shorting the CDI's pin, nothing would happen. This pin has to be pulled to ground to make the parking brake limiter come on.

THe reverse limiter, on the other hand, will come on if the green/white wire is NOT pulled to ground by the reverse switch... this is why problems occur when the connection at the switch loose or dirty. The good news is that the reverse light coming on or flickering tells you that this connection is the problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts