Raptor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My carbs are leaking a little. My quad sits in a metal shed all summer in HOT El Centro,California for the last 5 years. I return in the winters to ride. My floats are set right-using clear plastic tubing on the drain, it's slightly below the bowl mating surface. I replaced the orings on the float valves because I have 20 spares. And I had the carbs apart. They wouldn't have been the problem since gas didn't get up to the top of the bowls. I replaced the bowl orings last year. Dried and cracked after 15 years of service.

I have my carbs on a table with my gas tank feeding them. This way I can check for leaks without reinstalling. Even with a flashlight I can't see where it leaks from. There is a thin gas film on the bowls. I can't see if it is coming from above. It seems like the only possible place it could leak from is the inlet pipe that connects the 2 carbs. The orings that seal the pipe may be failing from the heat, vibration, and different gas formulations. I've never separated the 2 carbs. And I don't want to unless necessary. Just like to know if anyone has ever had to replace these orings.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Today I separated the carbs. And as I suspected, the orings on the feed pipe were dried and cracking. I knew as I pulled the pipe out it was where the gas was leaking from. It pulled out with no resistance. The dealer didn't have the orings in stock. And they wanted $10 apiece for them. I went to an agricultural parts store and found some orings that seem to fit. But they were Buna N. I wanted Viton. Buna is not the best for gas service. I've used them in gas in the past and had good luck. And they were only $1 each.

Where the gas leaked out of the cross over pipe was just above the bowl to carb body surface. It leaked down and followed the top of the bowl surface. That made it look like it was leaking from a bad bowl gasket. Finding this leak was tricky. I never thought about the pipe that connects the 2 carbs.

·
Master of the Electron
15,180 Posts
I haven't thought about them either... and hope I dont have to for some time!

Good find.

·
Registered
02 raptor 686 k&n alexx exhaust
256 Posts
I know thread is old. Wondering where this oring for feed pipe is located?

·
Registered
33 Posts
There is a small metal pipe between the carbs. That feeds the fuel from the left carb to the right. There are two O rings, one for each carb. The O rings are metric and need to be fuel resistant, that is why you would use a Vinton ring. So, don't go to the O ring box at your local hardware store. Those are made for water. If you can not find one, Harbor Freight has a metric Vinton O ring kit. I have them on my 03 right now.

The O rings are number 10 on this parts fiche.

·
Master of the Electron
15,180 Posts
Sno and Da - VITON, not vinton... just so as not to confuse.

Reactions: Sixpack577
1 - 6 of 6 Posts