Raptor Forum banner

01 and 02-05 tranny explained

43K views 35 replies 25 participants last post by  Wilson 
#1 ·
I'm posting this because I am looking at buying a tranny from a member on the forum. Problem is they dont know what year motor it came out of so i will try to explain the difference. The gear ratios for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and reverse gears were changed for the 02-05 models. The second and fourth gears on the input shaft were modified as well as the second and fourth gears on the output shaft that were modified as well. {you can see what was changed in the picture provided below on the input shaft second and fourth gears} also the center shift fork was modified. now for the member that will be reading this I took a few photos to try and help you determine what year it is. 1 photo is showing you which shaft is the input shaft "which is the only shaft i took pictures of" and the rest are of the gear you need to look at pointed out by the yellow arrow. now the gear that the yellow arrow is pointed at is the gear you need to locate and count the number of dogs/fingers that are on the gear. If there is only 3 fingers it is an 01 tranny and if there is 4 fingers then it is an 02-05 tranny. Also the 3 fingers on the gear for the 01 tranny are almost round where the fingers on the gear for the 02-05 tranny are not even close to round.
I hope this helps

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
TIZZLE13 nice job man!!

#5 ·
uhh meaning 01 have higher gears right and 02 on is lower i think hmmmm.

#7 ·
Purchasing 2001

I'm looking at buying a 2001 to ride. My neighbor is selling it, but there is a problem with second gear. It doesn't want to engage fully and makes a clicking sound. You don't by any chance have a service manual in PDF format. I was wondering if it was a second gear fork.

Any help would be great.

Mike

#19 ·
Hey Guys, I have a trans question........My 02' 660 has been running great.....When im in 2nd and really getting on it, the chain sounds like its jumping but its not, and also when im just riding with 2 people on. it does the same thing......Could this be a 2nd gear going out? all other gears are fine.....and it shifts fine...It getting worse... I spend an HR yesterday trying to see what it was....and I got aggravated and cut a doughnut in 2nd for about 45 sec trying to see if will go ahead and bust something so I can fix it but it didnt get worse......

#20 ·
Well my trans finally quit...I have a busted 2nd gear....Ive gotta tear it down to see what all is broke....But my son has me hooked on Call of duty Black Ops.....Any spare time im on the PS3....LOL

#21 ·
have there been recent troubles with 01 trannys? cuz thats what i have.

#22 ·
It's not a recent problem. There have always been issues with it, but it's either you have the problem or you don't.

#23 ·
I have a 02 660 and having problems getting into second gear. I checked and adjusted clutch from lever and at the motor and still had the problem. So figured it might be a bent shift fork so I tore down the motor and split the cases. I found no bent forks and all gears are in perfect condition. The only thing I can see is when I shift the the gears the dogs some times don't go into the slots of the other gear. Have any of you guys had this problem and how did you fix it.

Thanks.

#24 ·
I have a 02 660 and having problems getting into second gear. I checked and adjusted clutch from lever and at the motor and still had the problem. So figured it might be a bent shift fork so I tore down the motor and split the cases. I found no bent forks and all gears are in perfect condition. The only thing I can see is when I shift the the gears the dogs some times don't go into the slots of the other gear. Have any of you guys had this problem and how did you fix it.

Thanks.
Second gear is always the hardest gear to get into since you cross over neutral............

#26 ·
I have a 01 660 i been having promblems like when i got to take off it stalles on me everytime.

#27 ·
This might be kinda off topic but since my 01 has lasted for 10 years so far, and all I've had to do is replace my clutch, do you think I'll be alright with the 01 tranny? I don't want it to die when I govriding at CAW November 19th

#29 ·
The so called problem with the 01 trans is supposed to be the second gear engagement dogs breaking or rounding off allowing disengagement of 2nd gear, so if you you dont have problems, dont worry about it..............:D

#28 ·
*go riding

#30 ·
well willy, my 2nd gear held up, but its a pain in the butt to get to 3rd and 4th, gotta look at that tomorrow :)

#32 ·
tranny or clutch issue not sure

hey guys im new to the forum and have been reading your threads and you guys seem to know your stuff and be very healpful.

2003 Raptor 660

Here is my issue:
When the casing is on, the trans wont shift into any gears. it remains stuck in the gear that it is in. however when you take the casing off it shifts fine threw all gears. so im kinda stumped on what the issue can be. and advice would be greatly appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.