Raptor Forum banner

01 and 02-05 tranny explained

43K views 35 replies 25 participants last post by  Wilson 
#1 ·
I'm posting this because I am looking at buying a tranny from a member on the forum. Problem is they dont know what year motor it came out of so i will try to explain the difference. The gear ratios for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and reverse gears were changed for the 02-05 models. The second and fourth gears on the input shaft were modified as well as the second and fourth gears on the output shaft that were modified as well. {you can see what was changed in the picture provided below on the input shaft second and fourth gears} also the center shift fork was modified. now for the member that will be reading this I took a few photos to try and help you determine what year it is. 1 photo is showing you which shaft is the input shaft "which is the only shaft i took pictures of" and the rest are of the gear you need to look at pointed out by the yellow arrow. now the gear that the yellow arrow is pointed at is the gear you need to locate and count the number of dogs/fingers that are on the gear. If there is only 3 fingers it is an 01 tranny and if there is 4 fingers then it is an 02-05 tranny. Also the 3 fingers on the gear for the 01 tranny are almost round where the fingers on the gear for the 02-05 tranny are not even close to round.
I hope this helps

Attachments

See less See more
#35 ·
Yea my 01 I just replaced the shift forks and tranny the tranny is a 02+ I think? And the shift forks and drum I'm using is out of a 04 and it goes into reverse great goes into first great goes into neutral but it won't go into second it starts grinding or it just kicks it self out and back into neutral think this could be the clutch causing the issue? Once I put it all together I didn't know I had the clutch tightend with no play in it and then I took it down the road and went into 1st thru 4th then I got to the end of the road I noticed the clutch was slipping so I checked it and loosend it now it's not wanting to go into second at all I really don't think it's the shift forks since they looked fine and I thoroughly inspected them and then the gears on the tranny were fine when I rotated the shift drum when it was apart on the case and it shifted fine and when it's not running it shifts into all gears just fine so I'm stumped anyone had this happen before? Or know where I should start before tearing it all the way back down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.