Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying an '01 660 that has a bad 2nd gear. Price is $1,400 with clean title. Upgrades are as follows:

10" Alloy Wheels w/ Maxis Razor II Tires
Sheet Metal Oil Tank
Six Pack Rack
Tusk Nerf Bars and Bumper
Full Skid Plates
Extreme Motor Sports One Way Clutch
Hinsen Clutch Basket and Pressure Plate
Heavy Duty Clutch and Springs
All Bushings and Carrier Bearings Replace

I plan on replacing 2nd gear, but I don't want to replace it with the same crappy '01 gear. Will '02 gears fit right in the transmission without any problems? Not just 2nd gear, but the whole shaft and gear assemblies from an '02.

Came across this on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-Y...412852QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Worth it?

·
Master of the Electron
15,685 Posts
THere's a sticky about this. http://www.raptorforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44659

Read this and you should get all the info you need. The eBay tranny is a good deal if it is in good shape, but you'll need shift forks too - see if they're included.

IMO, $1400 is a little high for that quad, though... $1700 is a good starting point when working properly. I'd offer $1000. He knows that it will cost $800+ to have the tranny fixed (just don't tell him you'll do it yourself).

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THere's a sticky about this. http://www.raptorforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44659

Read this and you should get all the info you need. The eBay tranny is a good deal if it is in good shape, but you'll need shift forks too - see if they're included.

IMO, $1400 is a little high for that quad, though... $1700 is a good starting point when working properly. I'd offer $1000. He knows that it will cost $800+ to have the tranny fixed (just don't tell him you'll do it yourself).
He wanted $1600 for it and won't go lower than $1400. With all the aftermarket parts on it I could probably part it out and make my money back.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
If it was my money, I wouldnt pay more than $1000. You never know what you will find once you get into the motor. While its totally torn apart, you should replace the piston and rings at the very least (another 250ish depending). By the time you replace everything, you could buy a decent used 700. I have seen them go for 2000+

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can't find the whole trans anywhere and the gears, shafts, and forks are on eBay for like $250. Either way though, would I need to remove the whole engine from the frame to replace the gears or can I get into it by taking the case covers off?

I've never done trans work on a quad so I really have no idea where all the gears are located and what you have to remove to get to them.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I agree. 1400 is too much for a raptor that needs trans work. Even with the aftermarket parts he has on it. Get him down to a grand or walk away imho. To replace gears you're talking basically a whole motor tear down.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree. 1400 is too much for a raptor that needs trans work. Even with the aftermarket parts he has on it. Get him down to a grand or walk away imho. To replace gears you're talking basically a whole motor tear down.
That's okay because it will only take a weekend to tear down the whole motor and make everything nice and pretty THEN sell the raptor for more than I paid for it and get a 700R.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
That's okay because it will only take a weekend to tear down the whole motor and make everything nice and pretty THEN sell the raptor for more than I paid for it and get a 700R.
How much do you realistically think you are going to turn around and sell it for? And who is to say that it will be a quick turn-around? You may end up sitting on this bike for the rest of the year, just be prepared...

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How much do you realistically think you are going to turn around and sell it for? And who is to say that it will be a quick turn-around? You may end up sitting on this bike for the rest of the year, just be prepared...
Bought a '01 660 like 2 months ago that had a bad starter clutch. Replaced the starter clutch and had it for about a month then sold it for the same price I bought it for without a title.

Depending on how long I keep it and use it I'll be happy if I get back what I paid for it. I might be stuck with it for the rest of the year but that isn't a problem because it's not like I don't want it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Just remember that its always harder than you think and time is money so try for a better deal

·
Master of the Electron
15,685 Posts
You ask "Worth it?"; we all say "No"; you say "That's okay", arguing that it is... The question is, why did you ask in the first place?

You seem dead set to get it regardless of the number of ppl who tell you the price is too high, so get it and good luck. It's not going to break the bank, and we can help you get it running.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You ask "Worth it?"; we all say "No"; you say "That's okay", arguing that it is... The question is, why did you ask in the first place?

You seem dead set to get it regardless of the number of ppl who tell you the price is too high, so get it and good luck. It's not going to break the bank, and we can help you get it running.
I never asked if it was a good price or if it was worth it. I asked about the transmission issue and which route should I take to repair it.

The "Worth it?" part was actually about the '02 transmission assembly on eBay not the actual ATV.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
To replace the gears you need tear the motor completely down. In my opinion, you should replace the crank, crank bearings, piston and rings at the very least while it is totally torn apart (especially if you plan on keeping it awile) plus the gears you need. At a minimum it would be another $800+ for those. Why waste the money on something you MIGHT break even on? If you bought it as is, and parted it out. You would be lucky to break even. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
To replace the gears you need tear the motor completely down. In my opinion, you should replace the crank, crank bearings, piston and rings at the very least while it is totally torn apart (especially if you plan on keeping it awile) plus the gears you need. At a minimum it would be another $800+ for those. Why waste the money on something you MIGHT break even on? If you bought it as is, and parted it out. You would be lucky to break even. Just my 2 cents.
You must not understand. Why not buy something that I know I could fix for cheap and enjoy it? I'm going to ride it maybe twice a month, it is a toy, something fun to do on the weekends.

Lets say I spent $1400 on it. 2nd gear is $85 from Yamaha and a gasket kit is like $20 on eBay. You think I won't be able to get $1500 for it, or at least $1400?

That isn't the point though. I bought it because I wanted something fun to use once in awhile.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
If you can find a complete gasket kit for $20 on ebay, I'd like to see it, because I just went through this a couple months ago, and I'm here to tell you, NOT happening. But again, that's the cheapest part of the whole thing. But whatever. If your plan is that you might be able to just buy it and then sell it for what you bought it for, and then look for a 700, why not just skip the 660 and get a 700, since you aren't bettering your situation any...

·
Master of the Electron
15,685 Posts
I never asked if it was a good price or if it was worth it. I asked about the transmission issue and which route should I take to repair it.

The "Worth it?" part was actually about the '02 transmission assembly on eBay not the actual ATV.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
No, let me apologize - I did read it quickly AND wrong, lol... Regardless, although the consensus is that he's asking too much for it, it isn't enough to break you as long as you really want it and are aware of the possible issues ahead of you - good luck and I hope it turns out as expected.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
I just went through this second gear issue with my cousins 01. When second gear went, it also took out an idler gear, shift fork, oil pump, and one way. You never know whats really going on until you split her open. Your $85 part could turn into some serious coin. Just beware, it might not be a simple as you think.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts