Raptor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
I'm new to this site and I have some problems with my raptor. I bought it as a project bike and now I'm at a loss. I've replaced the starter solenoid, battery, cdi, complete wiring harness, stator, crank position sensor, ignition coil, spark plug, and regulator/ rectifier and I still have no spark and no crank even when I jump the solenoid. I noticed a blue and green wire that were cut when I got the bike but I have no idea where they go. I know they come from the cdi but I'm not sure if they should be grounded or what. (That's how they were when I bought it.) Any help on why I have no spark and what these mysterious wires are would be great.
Thanks

·
Master of the Electron
14,452 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

How can you tell that you have no spark if you can't get the engine to turn over - it is necessary to generate a spark. Are you saying that EVEN when you short across the two large lugs on the solenoid that the starter does not turn? If so you still have battery wiring or battery issues.

Light blue wire is the neutral switch - if cut, you need to pull the clutch to crank the engine.

There is no green wire without a stripe - what color is the stripe?

Does your reverse light come on when in reverse (with key switch on and run/stop switch in run)?

Do your headlights work?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I jump the solenoid and the engine will turn over. However, this does not generate spark.

The green wire has a white stripe.

The reverse light does not come on and the key switch looks to have been removed and bypassed by the previous owner.

There are no headlights on it.

Another thing is that the battery is losing power. I'm not sure if this is from not being run or if it's being drained by something. Right now it's sitting at about 1.5 volts, so every time I go to start it I have to hook up the battery charger and charge it. It won't hold a charge either so is the battery bad?

Thanks!

·
Master of the Electron
14,452 Posts
Green/white is from the reverse switch... if it's not connected (or not grounded) then you'll never get the engine to run above idle - but that's not your problem right now.

You have to use a decent battery - if your's won't hold a charge (especially when disconnected) then replace it or you'll never get the rest of the troubleshooting done.

Do you have the run/stop switch set to run?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay. I will replace the battery as soon as I can.

And yes. The run/ stop is on run. I've tried it in both positions just in case something was messed up but still no luck.

Any other suggestions?

·
Master of the Electron
14,452 Posts
If you have a voltmeter, check the red/black wire as it nears the CDI - should have 12V on it when key is on and r/s is at run. You can poke a straight pin through the insulation into the copper and put your meter lead on the pin.

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
10,292 Posts
So I just got the new battery and I checked the red/black wire and I have 0V.

Be sure to put a trickle/float charger on your new battery for a few days.

·
Master of the Electron
14,452 Posts
So, 0V on red/black means the CDI isn't getting power. It comes from the run/stop switch.

Check the red/white wire leading to the run/stop switch to see if IT has 12V when the key switch is on... if so, the run/stop switch needs cleaning or replacing... if not, then check the red wire leading into the key switch for 12V,

Regardless, report back with results and good luck.

And, of course, Dez is right - none of these tests mean anything if your battery is not in good shape and fully charged.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts