Raptor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Yamaha raptor 660R and I've put 2 starters into it and both of them have blown up they turn into a million pieces inside. had tested them to ensure they spin and they both did after installation it starts but starter stays engaged while indling then lock ups and kills the four wheeler it won't even bump start. then we take the bike apart and pull the starters out and take those apart and they are broken into a bunch of tiny pieces inside so far have only replaced the starters. should I purchase a relay or would it be something internal that would be causing the problems. when pushing the start button with the bad starters the starter and relay just click the starters will not spin anymore either after taking them out they spun by hand before taking them out and now they are almost welded together inside I have a new starter that was more expensive than the other two but worried about putting it in due to the fact that it has already blown two of them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2001 Yamaha raptor 660R and I've put 2 starters into it and both of them have blown up they turn into a million pieces inside. had tested them to ensure they spin and they both did after installation it starts but starter stays engaged while indling then lock ups and kills the four wheeler it won't even bump start. then we take the bike apart and pull the starters out and take those apart and they are broken into a bunch of tiny pieces inside so far have only replaced the starters. should I purchase a relay or would it be something internal that would be causing the problems. when pushing the start button with the bad starters the starter and relay just click the starters will not spin anymore either after taking them out they spun by hand before taking them out and now they are almost welded together inside I have a new starter that was more expensive than the other two but worried about putting it in due to the fact that it has already blown two of them.
. Are u having to tap on them to install at all? IV seen the magnets b4eak off inside and do that but only if they r dropped or tapped on during install? Just a suggestion? If it stays engeged too long they will sure overheat and burn up? Could catch and break internally I guess too? But I don't know why it would stay engaged as solenoid is only energized while pushing start button?

·
Master of the Electron
14,490 Posts
I suspect your starter one-way clutch is at fault... it should freewheel in one direction and I'll bet it isn't, so the starter is being engine driven at self-destructing RPM's.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I suspect your starter one-way clutch is at fault... it should freewheel in one direction and I'll bet it isn't, so the starter is being engine driven at self-destructing RPM's.
in have also replaced the starter clutch prior to replacing the starters

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
. Are u having to tap on them to install at all? IV seen the magnets b4eak off inside and do that but only if they r dropped or tapped on during install? Just a suggestion? If it stays engeged too long they will sure overheat and burn up? Could catch and break internally I guess too? But I don't know why it would stay engaged as solenoid is only energized while pushing start button?
no no problems installing it slides in nice no tapping

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
10,476 Posts
If your one way is good then it may be that your starter relay is sticking. A low battery could increase the amperage causing the contacts to partially weld together. Your battery should be at least 13.6 volts.

·
Master of the Electron
14,490 Posts
I'm still betting one-way. Pull the idler gear cover and gear, then try turning the 52T gear in both directions... it should be locked to crankshaft/engine in one direction and freewheel in the other. Bet it doesn't freewheel in either.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts