Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 660 Griz, but I'd like to get another sport bike. I had a 99 Banshee a few years back, but got rid of it for the Griz. The bug has hit me again and I have a friend that has a really nice 2001 Raptor he is wanting to sell. He just doesn't ride it anymore and it's in excellent shape. I doubt the bike has 50 hours on it if that. He hasn't even taken it to the dunes in four years, just riding around his home. A few questions. Wasn't 01 the first year of the Raptor and weren't there some issues with the transmissions? I asked him that question, and he said something about he put a 13 tooth sprocket on so it wouldn't have the trans issue? I don't know if was just led a line of bs or what, because I know he wouldn't try to get over on me. What was the transmission issue and is this something that will eventually go out, and if so, is it a big fix item?

Any other issues with the 01? He has a aftermarket pipe, some billet stuff, and some wheel extensions? He said he put those on after the first time he rode it b/c he thought it was "tippy". I kind of like a taller bike b/c I'm 6'4, but from what I understand a main concern of the Raptor is the high center of gravity and tippiness.

I asked what he wants for it and he said probably around $2000. I know that's retail, but it is in really great shape. This guy takes perfect care of his stuff. He has some front and rear paddles, so I thought I'd see if he throw in the tires and any extras for $2K. Since he's a friend I don't feel like beating him down on price, as long as the transmission deal isn't going to be a huge deal.

Just want some thoughts. I have a couple leads on some other bikes including an 05 Banshee and 06 YFZ with a big bore kit. Both bikes are in pretty decent shape, not as nice as the Raptor though. The YFZ kind of scares me with the stroker motor, and I don't know if I want to go back to a 2-stroke this time. I can probably get either one for $2500, maybe more for the YFZ.

·
Registered
437 Posts
well the 01 raptor had a second gear problem and it was hit or miss. some were really bad and blew fast and some lasted but its deff a problem you will have to adress eventually im sure. but they are good bikes. wheel extensions are ehh if you likem great but can cause alot of bumpsteer if on the front. now as far as the banshee never been a fan but really the four strokes are getting so much faster its not worth the hassle. The yfz sounds nice if you could get info on the build. strokers can be very reliable if built proper. either way good luck and glad to see you havnt lost your speed itch lol

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Even though the '01s are known for the tranny problems, all years have the problem. In fact 2nd gear is starting to slip/disengage on my '03.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
If its a low hour 01 you might be fine. There was now fix to not make it happen(13 tooth). The transmissions are a weak link though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah kind of thought the sprocket thing was kind of bunk, but then again you never know. From some reading I've been doing it sounds like it's just the luck of the draw whether or not it will have an issue. Since it is a low hour bike, I wonder if that is almost worse? Maybe it just hasn't been riden hard enough yet.

What's the approximate cost of a new set of gears and parts and labor? Is this something that can be DIY, or is this a pretty complicated job? If I decide to procede I may use the cost of the transmission as a bartering tool and figure that at some point I'm going to have to replace it even if I never do.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
A used 02+ trans will run $200+ New parts will run you more then that. Yukon gears will run about 500ish. The install is not to hard but very time consuming.

·
Registered
437 Posts
depends if u buy used or new. id say in the area of 400-500ish depending but then again i havnt done any lol. looked into it a little when i had my 02. and as far as diy it just depends on how mechanically inclined you are. check out that yfz for sure

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
depends if u buy used or new. id say in the area of 400-500ish depending but then again i havnt done any lol. looked into it a little when i had my 02. and as far as diy it just depends on how mechanically inclined you are. check out that yfz for sure
I know, that YFZ is pretty sweet. I think I can get it for around $2500. It has a bent a-arm, but other than that it's pretty decent shape. Pipe, lockup clutch, stroker kit, some billet stuff and it sounds a whole lot better than the 01 Raptor with a "potential" transmission issue. My buddy traded a car for two bikes (the 450 and Banshee). At first he was going to let me pick between the two, but now his wife wants both! Crazy b/c my wife doesn't even want me to have one. I'm thinking if I can persude him out of the 450 I can get it for $2500-2700 range with sand tires. At least that's what he was thinking at first. He may want a little more for it now that he has it. I really don't like the feel of a 450 and I'm a little concerned with the reliability of a stoker motor. We did find out who did the work though, and I guess it's a pretty reputable shop. I guess we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well the 01 raptor had a second gear problem and it was hit or miss. some were really bad and blew fast and some lasted but its deff a problem you will have to adress eventually im sure. but they are good bikes. wheel extensions are ehh if you likem great but can cause alot of bumpsteer if on the front. now as far as the banshee never been a fan but really the four strokes are getting so much faster its not worth the hassle. The yfz sounds nice if you could get info on the build. strokers can be very reliable if built proper. either way good luck and glad to see you havnt lost your speed itch lol

So I've been looking all around and have found some decent deals on some 450's and banshees locally, but all are pretty beat up or have been riden really hard. I can still pick up this super clean 01 Raptor for probably $2K possibly with front/rear sand tires. Figure that a if the tranny goes I'm out $7-800 to replace. Question is, will all the 01 trannies ultimately fail? I realize that over time with enough use everything will wear out, but my question is more if a bike has been taken good care of and is low-houred, can I expect a reasonable amount of time on an 01 before the tranny may/may not blow up? Are there some high-houred 01's out there on stock trannies? I don't plan on doing any power upgrades. I just want a bike I can take down to the dunes 2-3 times a year and ride around the farm a little. Figure I'll take my chances on spending $2K on a really clean bike as compared to spending $4-5 on a late model on. The 450 big bore I looked at is super fast, but it's been riden hard. I can probably pick it up for $2500 but it has an oil leak, anti-freeze leak, bent a-arm, and I think the wheel bearings are out of it because it wobbled real hard at high speed. Could have been a bent rim though too. Dunno, figure I may be better off calculating in a tranny rebuild on the 01 because the rest of the bike is in such good shape. What do you guys think?

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
So I've been looking all around and have found some decent deals on some 450's and banshees locally, but all are pretty beat up or have been riden really hard. I can still pick up this super clean 01 Raptor for probably $2K possibly with front/rear sand tires. Figure that a if the tranny goes I'm out $7-800 to replace. Question is, will all the 01 trannies ultimately fail? I realize that over time with enough use everything will wear out, but my question is more if a bike has been taken good care of and is low-houred, can I expect a reasonable amount of time on an 01 before the tranny may/may not blow up? Are there some high-houred 01's out there on stock trannies? I don't plan on doing any power upgrades. I just want a bike I can take down to the dunes 2-3 times a year and ride around the farm a little. Figure I'll take my chances on spending $2K on a really clean bike as compared to spending $4-5 on a late model on. The 450 big bore I looked at is super fast, but it's been riden hard. I can probably pick it up for $2500 but it has an oil leak, anti-freeze leak, bent a-arm, and I think the wheel bearings are out of it because it wobbled real hard at high speed. Could have been a bent rim though too. Dunno, figure I may be better off calculating in a tranny rebuild on the 01 because the rest of the bike is in such good shape. What do you guys think?

Get a 700... better platform and faster than 450's stock....

·
Registered
542 Posts
get that 450 or a 700

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
get that 450 or a 700
I don't disagree, the 700 or 450 would be the better choice. But a newer 700 in good shape is $3500+, the 450 I'm looking at needs some parts and both AT tire and sand paddles, so by the time I do that I'm into that for $3K. Only reason I'm really looking at the 01 is that if I can get it for $2K or less maybe, I'm not into it for much and if I have to dump it I won't lose all that much. More or less I just want a weekend toy that I don't have to spend an arm and leg on. Of course, if the tranny goes out then I'm on par with the other bikes I've looked at. Since I'm not familiar with the 700's, why are they so much better?

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
My '01 still has the stock transmission in it. Quadmaniac did a survey on this and I don't remember what his results were on the percentages of '01 trannys replaced, and if I remember correctly, Willykiller said he has repaired more issues from '02-'05 trannys. Just to make your decision a little harder, lol.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
I bought a non running 01 and fixed it to find a bad 2nd gear. I think it had some hours on it though because it was not in new shape. I would think it will last if your not to hard on it. I am hard on my stuff though. I beat the Shit out of all my quads. Just funner that way:lol:

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
I bought a non running 01 and fixed it to find a bad 2nd gear. I think it had some hours on it though because it was not in new shape. I would think it will last if your not to hard on it. I am hard on my stuff though. I beat the Shit out of all my quads. Just funner that way:lol:
You don't ride your quads Zach, they sit in your garage, lol. You buy them beat up haha. And you never fix them, lol!

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
You don't ride your quads Zach, they sit in your garage, lol. You buy them beat up haha. And you never fix them, lol!
I fixed that 01 up all nice and the parted it out:banghead: I sold that motor to Bryan though so I can see how a 686 and 14:1 ported motor will do. Now with them barkers on it I bet she will fly. Never got any seat time on it because the output seal. Just got burned out with fixing up quads all summer and never riding them. I did ride my 04 a few times though:p

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks for all the replies. after doing some reading, it sounds like even later 660's can have some tranny issues as well. I may try to talk this guy down even more and see what he says. i haven't seen the bike for a few years, but from what I remember about it, it was in pristine shape. He only bought it to go to the dunes 2 times a year and that's all he ever did with it. Said he hasn't even taken it out of the garage in three years. So I imagine it can't have over 50 hours on it.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
I'd imagine you should be able to get him to go lower on the price, I think he'd have a hard time getting that price if he were to try and sell it, regardless of what kind of shape it's in. Never know though, if he isn't hurting for money, he might not care if it's just sitting.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
#1. What type of riding do plan on doing and #2. How much money are you planning on letting go of? Those are two most important questions.
Regardless of question #1. If you buy a $2000 6-7 year old bike it doesn't matter what you buy you will be in for a $500 repair as soon as you start putting hours on it (e.g. starter clutch, clutches, axle bearings, chain, sprockets, top end maintenance). So knowing that a 6-7 year old bike will involve some repair of worn parts you are now at question #1. If you like MX, fast cornering, quick sprints and drag racing get a 450 race bred bike that will give you that type of performance. If you plan on hill shooting or woods type GNCC or just trails and need plenty of torque then go with a big bore bike like the 660 or 700. Now question #2. I don't recommend anyone buy a 660 if have the ability to buy a 700. There are many reasons for this if you're looking for a big bore bike. One example is look at how many 660 posts we see these days...the 660 support and resale is dropping off unless you're deeply invested and committed to that dinosaur. On the other hand 450s are everywhere, the YFZ is probably the best 450 investment for weight/horsepower performance and resale value. The Honda 450R is the best budget-minded 450 to buy in this area because parts seem to be plentiful, affordable and everyone buys and trades them. I've seen some boys with stock 450Rs in this area simply drop in a 13:1 piston, clean up the head a little with a cartridge roll and become one of the fastest bikes to beat in 200' and Real difficult to chase down in the woods. Sorry for the Novel,
Good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
#1. What type of riding do plan on doing and #2. How much money are you planning on letting go of? Those are two most important questions.
Regardless of question #1. If you buy a $2000 6-7 year old bike it doesn't matter what you buy you will be in for a $500 repair as soon as you start putting hours on it (e.g. starter clutch, clutches, axle bearings, chain, sprockets, top end maintenance). So knowing that a 6-7 year old bike will involve some repair of worn parts you are now at question #1. If you like MX, fast cornering, quick sprints and drag racing get a 450 race bred bike that will give you that type of performance. If you plan on hill shooting or woods type GNCC or just trails and need plenty of torque then go with a big bore bike like the 660 or 700. Now question #2. I don't recommend anyone buy a 660 if have the ability to buy a 700. There are many reasons for this if you're looking for a big bore bike. One example is look at how many 660 posts we see these days...the 660 support and resale is dropping off unless you're deeply invested and committed to that dinosaur. On the other hand 450s are everywhere, the YFZ is probably the best 450 investment for weight/horsepower performance and resale value. The Honda 450R is the best budget-minded 450 to buy in this area because parts seem to be plentiful, affordable and everyone buys and trades them. I've seen some boys with stock 450Rs in this area simply drop in a 13:1 piston, clean up the head a little with a cartridge roll and become one of the fastest bikes to beat in 200' and Real difficult to chase down in the woods. Sorry for the Novel,
Good luck
Good points. Again I'm just looking for something to cruise the dunes on a few times a year and run around the farm a bit, but I have a Grizz and JD Gator for the farm stuff. So for me dumping a bunch of money into a toy for riding maybe once a month doesn't make much sense. I've taken my Grizz to the dunes, but it's pretty limited in the trails and it just isn't that much fun. I'd love to get the 450, but I'm afraid of all the problems it could end up having since it's been "souped" up so much. It is VERY fast and that scares me a little since I'm definately a novice rider. I don't mind a Banhsee, but they are kind of dinosaurs as well, and at this point in my life I kind of like the ease of riding a 4-stroke. With the 01 Raptor as long as I don't have too many problems it will probably be worth $1500-2K as long as I keep it in good shape. Any atv I've seen under $1500 is usually a piece of crap. My buddy got $1000 bucks for a completely wore out DS650 the other day. Unless I can sneak up on another 450 or 700 somewhere before spring I'll probably jump at the 01. Again thanks for the replies.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts