Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 01 660R, just bought about 4 months ago and was just fine till around 2wks ago. Starts good, idles good, everythings good except 3/4 rpm and up in all gears sputters/ cuts out/ backfires somewhat, and sometimes dies if I dont let off within 5 seconds or so. Have been surfing the web for 2 wks now and read 100 posts and tried 20 different things. The parking brake has been blocked and unplugged, reverse has been bypassed, plug check and cleaning, coil wire check, new spark plug, ran seafoam through it, few stator test, unplugged single cdi wire on bottom, gonna clean the air filter good tonight, but its not too dirty. 5th gear will sputter back and forth for about 10-20 seconds and then it will have full power and start to top out fine, then cuts out again, sometimes dieing. I changed the oil to synthetic about the time this started happening dont think its connected in anyway. I got it with a stage one cam, jet kit, exhaust, and a k&n filter, all was fine until 2wks ago, kind of hinting towards carb problems, ethanol maybe, but it sounds so much like a rev limiter kickin in. Thanks for all comments

·
Master of the Electron
15,225 Posts
Likely that one of your main jets is partially plugged, probably in the emusifier tube... time for a thorough carb cleaning.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good reading on the carb post, that will be what I do next. Should I let the jets soak over night or just run some carb cleaner n brushes threw them. Dealer said ethanol has been bothering carbs lately and soaking them loosens debre better. Thanks for all the good info

·
Master of the Electron
15,225 Posts
I prefer soaking first, then spray cleaner and small copper strands (removed from speaker wire) to rod out all holes and passages in jets, then soaking, then spraying some more, then blowing out with air... soaking alone just doesn't wick into the tiny, plugged passages.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I prefer soaking first, then spray cleaner and small copper strands (removed from speaker wire) to rod out all holes and passages in jets, then soaking, then spraying some more, then blowing out with air... soaking alone just doesn't wick into the tiny, plugged passages.
Exactly! Usually, you don't even need a rebuild kit.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I cleaned my carbs last night. Pilot jets seemed to be clogged a bit. Ran speaker wire and 14g strands through it with carb cleaner and compressed air. Started right up afterword but it was 10 o'clock at night and I couldn't ride it due to the neighbors hate for an extremely loud exhaust, but it idled really good, before the cleaning it would sputter slightly every 5 seconds or so. A problem I had was the main 4 tubes, mainly the 2 rear air box tubes didnt want to hook up very good, seemed as if they shrunk 1/2 inch, weird, but I got them hooked up tight they just look as if they needed 1/2" more length. Also the cover gasket on the idle screw(throttle cable cover with 3 screws) was missing about 1/8" of gasket, think its no biggie. Will ride today after work, hopefully I'll be at full power. Thanks for all the help, really appreciated

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well got a chance to drive it, and its doing the same thing as before. 3/4 throttle just bogs it down. Idk, few ideas I have, noticed the park brake plug on the cluth handle, the one with a black and black/green wire were still plugged in regular, read an article to unplug them and plug into each other, think thats what it said, but I bought it after someone already installed the block plate and it has been fine until now, Idk?? Also my exhaust headers in the front do turn hot red, but it always done that even when it ran fine. I dont know where to go from here, I broke the top motor mount about a week before any of this came about, dont think theyre related though. What makes me think it was the carb was that to top it out I would have to gently, gently go through 5th gear and let it sputter and eventually(5-15sec.) it would top out fine ???. Thanks for info

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Well got a chance to drive it, and its doing the same thing as before. 3/4 throttle just bogs it down. Idk, few ideas I have, noticed the park brake plug on the cluth handle, the one with a black and black/green wire were still plugged in regular, read an article to unplug them and plug into each other, think thats what it said, but I bought it after someone already installed the block plate and it has been fine until now, Idk?? Also my exhaust headers in the front do turn hot red, but it always done that even when it ran fine. I dont know where to go from here, I broke the top motor mount about a week before any of this came about, dont think theyre related though. What makes me think it was the carb was that to top it out I would have to gently, gently go through 5th gear and let it sputter and eventually(5-15sec.) it would top out fine ???. Thanks for info
You never mentioned your jet sizes............
Also you mentioned ethanol, now depending on the percentage, should you be using E85, you will have to double the amount of fuel to be used by the engine, should you use 10 or 20% ethanol, you will also have to increase your jetting, pilots, needles and mains..............
This sounds like a lack of fuel on topend................

·
Master of the Electron
15,225 Posts
Sure sounds like you're too lean on the mains.. what are your exact mods (exhaust and air box) and what jet sizes/pilot jets/needles?

Something to determine: If the problem is primarily throttle position related, it's usually a function of carbs.. if RPM related, its more likely something else.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm pretty sure gas around here (Jonesboro, Arkansas) is 10% ethanol, but I've read articles in the paper saying it would be a bit more than 10% Idk. My jet sizes are left side 155 main, 27-1/2 pilot, 145 OTHER jet that looks like a main. Right side 160 main, 27-1/2 pilot. My mods are full fmf exhaust, k&n air filter, no rubber snorkel just top and cone filter, stage 1 cam. I bought it like this and all was fine, never showed any sign of carb problems until all the sudden, 3 wks ago now. It's driving me nuts and costing lots of down time, appreciate the help

·
Master of the Electron
15,225 Posts
Did you remove and clean the main jet's emulsifier tube (called the needle jet in the manual)? I had a partially plugged needle jet (lotsa small holes) and it made the bike stumble badly and nearly die when at between 1/2 and 3/4 throttle.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not exactly sure which needle u mean, does it have holes? Pretty sure I cleaned them all. Was it listed in the carb link at the begging of this post, cause I got them. Was wondering about the 8mm bolt around the main jet if it needs to be removed and cleaned? Thanks again

·
Master of the Electron
15,225 Posts
Beneath (above in the picure below) the main jet-#14 below, is the emulsifier, or needle jet-#15 below. The main jet screws into it, and yes, it has a separate hex head, and it needs to be removed and cleaned also.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It was the one with the 8mm head. I thought I should remove it but wasn't sure. I'll get that one/two cleaned soon. How about the 4 rubber tubes that hold the carb in place? Mine seems to not want to mount correctly, seems as if my tubes are 1/2" short. I spent about 20min working the carb in position and it still looks like I need a little more tube, but I think its good enough, any advice on mounting it back in there. Thanks again

·
Master of the Electron
15,225 Posts
It was the one with the 8mm head. I thought I should remove it but wasn't sure. I'll get that one/two cleaned soon. How about the 4 rubber tubes that hold the carb in place? Mine seems to not want to mount correctly, seems as if my tubes are 1/2" short. I spent about 20min working the carb in position and it still looks like I need a little more tube, but I think its good enough, any advice on mounting it back in there. Thanks again
Make sure they're well seated in the intake manifold boots (front) and tight... then wiggle the air box and tubes (rear) to get them over the carb throat. You can loosen some air box bolts if necessary to get it to move a little more. The carb to intake manifold boot seating is the most important - you can't survive vacuum leaks. The air box tubes must make a good seal too, else you'll suck dust/dirt into the engine, not a good thing... but get the intake boots squared away first.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Removed my carbs once again n cleaned the emulsifier tube. My carbs seem really clean. But now it's cutting out at 1/2 throttle real bad n starts to quitely pop. What does this mean, I didn't adjust anything just cleaned the emulsifier tube. Nuetral seems to rev fine, just when n gear it cuts badly. Only thing I can guess is I tightened them(emulsifier) up to much. Btw I got the tubes on tight now, thanks, I really miss full speed :(

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Removed my carbs once again n cleaned the emulsifier tube. My carbs seem really clean. But now it's cutting out at 1/2 throttle real bad n starts to quitely pop. What does this mean, I didn't adjust anything just cleaned the emulsifier tube. Nuetral seems to rev fine, just when n gear it cuts badly. Only thing I can guess is I tightened them(emulsifier) up to much. Btw I got the tubes on tight now, thanks, I really miss full speed :(
Raise the needles a notch each and see what it does..............

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Raise the needles, so I lower the washer 1 notch? Would this need to be adjusted over time, I don't understand why it would need to be adjusted now. Will give it a try when I get a chance. Thanks for all the advice

1 - 20 of 56 Posts