Raptor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed my oil level was down today and filled it to full ( the oil level has also been slowly going down the past week or so) . i went for a quick ride and it preformed fine. I parked it, and when i started to ride again i could hear an air leak. I looked and its blowing compression back into the carb and leaking out of the clamp. I parked it and decided to check the oil level, i unscrewed it and oil pumped out, building oil in the crank case? I believe its either the piston or rings not sure. Any help will be appreciated

·
Master of the Electron
14,544 Posts
You can't check immediately after shutdown... let it sit for a minute. When you check and top oil off, make sure it's hot. If you top off when cold, it will overflow when hot.

What clamp is air pressure leaking out past?

·
I am unique
22,619 Posts
I noticed my oil level was down today and filled it to full ( the oil level has also been slowly going down the past week or so) . i went for a quick ride and it preformed fine. I parked it, and when i started to ride again i could hear an air leak. I looked and its blowing compression back into the carb and leaking out of the clamp. I parked it and decided to check the oil level, i unscrewed it and oil pumped out, building oil in the crank case? I believe its either the piston or rings not sure. Any help will be appreciated
The engine must be hot for several minutes to properly check the oil level, if you check it too soon the oil will spew from the tank, The oil tank holds the oil away from the engine, the raptor engine uses a dry sump system and any oil that is in the tank may be aerated until the oil is up to temperature.........

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah but i checked it after riding for about 15 mins. Any ideas to what is wrong?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's the carb clamp on the boot that goes to the head. It seems like it's building pressure and pushing it backwards and coming out of the boot at this clamp

·
Master of the Electron
14,544 Posts
It's the carb clamp on the boot that goes to the head. It seems like it's building pressure and pushing it backwards and coming out of the boot at this clamp
Does this make sense to anyone? If there is pressure here instead of vacuum, as expected, the bike is not going to run.

It IS common for this clamp, especially on 01's, to provide insufficient clamping force, allowing the carb to work its way off... unrelated to any 'pressure'.

·
I am unique
22,619 Posts
Does this make sense to anyone? If there is pressure here instead of vacuum, as expected, the bike is not going to run.

It IS common for this clamp, especially on 01's, to provide insufficient clamping force, allowing the carb to work its way off... unrelated to any 'pressure'.
Totally no sense, I think that maybe the carbs are not quite into the boot and because of clamping it on, it tries to squeeze it back off........Does that make sense...........

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
That's how I broke my carb boot Willy, I cranked to hard on the clamp & the carb's weren't fully seated on the boot carb's slowly slipped off while I was tightening them & I slices one:(. Now Im real careful when mounting my carb's.
The intake I got of you work's great, were going up to Greene NY tomorrow to ride for the day

1 - 8 of 8 Posts