Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I need some opinions. I have a friend or has one of his friends 01 raptor. It's in ok shape the guy bought if for 1800 dollars and rode it 5 or 6 times and the starter clutch went out. So it sat for 6 months and the guy bought a 350 instead. So I can get it for 1000 dollars and it will need a new starter clutch, rear tires, and some minor work on fixing some things like some of the bushings and it has aftermarket bars so instead of rewiring the dumby lights he just has them hanging from the bar. So as far as I know thats all it should need. Do you guys think this is a good deal or not worth it. Also if the transmission does go bad or mess up what will it take and how much to fix it. Thanks for the help in advance.

·
Registered
639 Posts
well 1000 plus another 200 for the l&a one way plus a lot for the trans unless you can do it yourself. how much are you willing to spend to have a good quad? also if you decide to do the trans you might as well upgrade the internals like a piston and cam while you are at it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I figure for a 1000 to buy it and another 1000 to 1200 in it and I would probably have a decent quad for around 2000. I have no problem doing all of the work myself and as far as I know the guy had no trouble with the transmission. So it might not have to be worked on for a while.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
starter clutch

What all do I need to replace the starter clutch. Do I need to buy the whole kit or just certain parts.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If it'll run you around $2k to get it running, then it's a great deal. If the tranny goes out it'll set you back anywhere from $100 to $1300, depending on if you do the work yourself, what goes out/gets damaged, or if you upgrade all the parts to '02 year (I just did that).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: starter clutch

is there a way to rig the starter clutch up as a temporary fix to see if it runs. I am looking at this raptor and would like to know how it runs before I buy it but obviously I can't do that if the starter won't work.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: starter clutch

yeah I thought of that but it has no clutch cable and the oil is drained from the case because they were working on the starter clutch. So should I just put the clutch cable back on and button up the engine and try to push start it first and see how it runs.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
help now please with starter working on this as we speak

I am trying to decide on this raptor. The starter clutch is out for sure but I was wondering the gear and stuff for the starter are out of the quad right now. If I put the cover back on and check the oil would it hurt it if I pushed started it to see how it runs or should I not do that.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Re: help now please with starter working on this as we speak

put it back in if it isnt in loose pieces. I am sure it holds the flywheel in place or something.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
spark plug getting no spark

after checking the spark plug cap and the ignition coil mounted to the frame what should I check next to see why there is no spark. ASAP help would be great bc I am maybe going to buy this quad but it's not getting spark now and I don't know why. So I need to try to fix it or rig it to get it running for a minute so I can check it out to see if I am going to buy it or not.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: spark plug getting no spark

also is there any way to bypass any of the systems and in doing so you would be able to get a spark without a doubt. One thing I did notice was that the starter clutch is out so the little cover at the top of the crankcase cover was off and the gears aren't inside of it. Also in the manual it shows that there is a ground screwed in with one of the crankcase mouting bolts and its no where to be seen. Would this cause any problems. When you hit the starter button the starter will spin so it's getting electric. also the headlights work too.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I think thats a mighty good deal cause i got my 01 rappy 660 for 1800. And about 5 months into having it my one-way took a shit on me so i replaced that and my tranny is still working strong. I also put on new front rims and tires and some pro tapers and its a great quad! :thumbsup:

If you buy it post pics!

·
Registered
1,568 Posts

Doing what your talking about doing may f*ck things up worse than they are. If its broke do it right and fix it right before you ride it again....I'm not trying to be a @sshole, but think about it.

·
Super Moderator
17,063 Posts

You've got the bike apart, why do you need to know if it runs now? Didn't you know if it was running before you took it apart? What have you done since you took it apart that you need to check up on?

More generally, what the heck are you trying to do? :3question:

·
Super Moderator
17,063 Posts
Ok it's taken me about 15 minutes but I've finally figured out what you're trying to do. You've confused the hell out of me by asking vague and specific questions spread out over two boards and four topics so I've consolidated them.

Basically the bike is in pieces. You can't get spark and you want to try and see if it runs because you're interested in buying it. It's also an 01 with original transmission.

Let me start by saying that unless you're mechanically inclined or know someone who is who will do work cheaply or for free then you may be in deeper than you want to be.

Next if the flywheel is off the bike you're going to have a rough time getting the bike to idle or run.

As for spark make sure that all necessary electrical connections are mated. They may have removed some when tearing down the bike. Then get a new spark plug and try to get spark to a ground point on the bike's frame or hardware. Make sure it's a good connection into the cap as the guts can come unscrewed.

You may have to decide without hearing the bike run.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.