Raptor Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 01 raptor that i just replaced the starte clutch in...it fired right up after install and i started to head to the backyard and it just died...it wont start again?? i have alot of extra parts so i started replacing everything i could think of..including coil pack and plug,rectifier,stator and cdi box

any help will very useful thanks

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Is it cranking over? Have open gas? Take out the plug and make sure the piston is at top dead center. if you gently place a clean screwdriver in the plug hole, you can feel the top of piston. Then check to see if the "I" timing mark is in the timing view hole. You may have inproperly torqued the flywheel and sheered the keyway. Give some more details of simptons. Welcome to the forum!!!

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Make sure the stator conection to the harness is correctly connected.Check the pins. make sure they are intact. Try a small amount of dielectric grease on the pins. Unplug the regulator and try to start it. If it fires, you have a bad stator.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Lets back up. Did you pull the sparkplug, lay it on the case and look for spark? Like I said, disconect the regulator and give it a try. If you put in a aftermarket stator, it could be dead, right out of the box. Jumped timing wont cause the spark to fail. Just fire at the wrong time. Check your connections!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i ran omhs check on all wires...no spark. we had a crazy rain a couple weeks ago and it was outside covered but at some point the cover blew off...what things should i replace for water damage (any personal experiences on weird/little things to check)?

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Ohm check on what wires? Take out the plug, connect it to the plug wire and lay it on the case. push the magic button. If no spark, disconnect the rectifier and try again. If spark, you have a dead or disconnected stator. The bike fired after the starter clutch replacement and drove, correct?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i tried laying it on the case no spark..yes bike drove half way around the house and died..i didnt ohms checks on 6 or 7 different wires that i was told to check by the dealer...

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Lets try the simple stuff. Did you do a spark plug cap resistance test? The cap unscrews from the wire. It should read 10k ohms resistance. If it rained heavely enough. the sparkplug hole may have filled with water and mud and shorted the internal resister ( there is one in the cap). Its a strange failure for the plug cap, however it happens.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts