Raptor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I got an opportunity to buy an 01 rappy for $2,000. Was in Glamis this weekend and my buddy wants to sell his wifes rappy (the 01) and get her a newer bike. The only concern is that I here a slight ticking in the head, which I think the valves need adjusting. He never had it done! My other concern is I heard the trannies are bad in the 01's. IS THIS TRUE?

If so, how much does it cost to replace or repair the tranny and did Yamaha fix this problem prior to 03.

The bike ran great all weekend while she was riding it. She said she does not want to sell it because she likes it but also said it was up to her husband (good girl!!!).

Any thoughts or emotional outburst would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys....

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
its not bad. i would see if you can do the tranny yourself, if you cant, i'd pass on the bike.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
O.k guys, thanks. I'm pretty good with wrenches and have my 03 always ready. So I figure I can tear this one down and work on it as a hobby-ish type of thing.

But is this the only year of bike that had the tranny problem?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a 2001 and never had a problem with the tranny and i ride this thing hard. If he never had a problem with it go for it.
If the tranny did not went by now ( 2nd gear) it will probably never.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
I agree, from my expierence if an 01 still has its stock tranny in it, it will probably last forever. I personally know of 6 01s that still have the stock tranny in them and only 1 that has had a failure. Those are just the guys around me, of course I've had some in the shop with blown trannys.

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
The "if it was going to go it would have already" approach makes a lot of sense and I would tend to agree with it in most situations. That said I've had some experience with friends buying low hour 01's that simply hadn't reached their breakdown yet. I'm also not sure how well the approach works towards modified bikes, as one of the friends lost his trans after a piston, cam, and port job upgrade.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i got an 01, had it since 02 and seen no tranny problems. they told me to keep the oil changed is the key to keeping an 01 tranny alive. i also give me bike hell! :grin_nod:

·
Registered
22 Posts
sorry to butt in but about the transmissions i have a 04 and somethings not right on it when u shift into second and a few other gears the shifter wants to stay up but it stays in gear and drives perfect except for that and there is nothin wrong with it drivin in second could the shifter possibly have vibrated or came loose or is my transmission about to go or something this is my first quad like this and any help or advice would be appreciated

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't believe that if a trans didn't go out by now, it never will.

I had my 01 since new, and rode the piss out of it. I always kept the oil changed, and it was always taken care of. Then i put a new clutch in it and a week later the trans went. The trans lasted a little over 5 years old.

I think the abuse of the new clutch locking up harder is what did it in.

If you have an 01 and didn't upgrade, I doubt if your out of the woods yet just because it hasn't went.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts