Raptor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went riding the other day and my quad just suddenly quit, almost like I stalled. I tried to fire back up and just a buzz sound. I have heard the click/buzz before when my starter relay went bad. I replaced that and didnt have any problems until now. I bypassed the relay by jumping straigt to the starter. The starter spins, but does not turn the engine. I then thought it was the one way starter clutch. I pulled everything off up until the flywheel because everything looked really good and turned very smooth with no signs of metal flakes or wear. If the one way is bad, what signs should I look for? Do you guys think the problem is still the one way starter clutch or possibly electrical or should I start thinking internal and rebuild the motor? Any advice is welcome, I am stumped as to what to do.

P.S. I could not get it to roll/bump start either at the time. I checked, and I do get plenty of spark.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any advice is welcome. Chime in with any ideas.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I went riding the other day and my quad just suddenly quit, almost like I stalled. I tried to fire back up and just a buzz sound. I have heard the click/buzz before when my starter relay went bad. I replaced that and didnt have any problems until now. I bypassed the relay by jumping straigt to the starter. The starter spins, but does not turn the engine. I then thought it was the one way starter clutch. I pulled everything off up until the flywheel because everything looked really good and turned very smooth with no signs of metal flakes or wear. If the one way is bad, what signs should I look for? Do you guys think the problem is still the one way starter clutch or possibly electrical or should I start thinking internal and rebuild the motor? Any advice is welcome, I am stumped as to what to do.

P.S. I could not get it to roll/bump start either at the time. I checked, and I do get plenty of spark.
did you check to see if the starter clutch turns freely clockwise and locks up counter clockwise?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts

If the starter turns and the engine engine doesnt turn over, it usually indicates your oneway is defective................

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
turn the engine over by hand and make sure it turns over. Don't wanna put a new one way in and find out that there motor problems.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The one way does does turn freely and lock up in the other direction like its supposed to. And how exactly should I go about turning the engine over by hand? I'm just trying to diagnose the problem before I open up my wallet.

·
Registered
44 Posts
check out the valve adjustment sticky it shows you how to turn the engine over.Mine stopped on me to the other day and would not start then I realized the spark plug boot came off.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
check out the valve adjustment sticky it shows you how to turn the engine over.Mine stopped on me to the other day and would not start then I realized the spark plug boot came off.
Excellent reason for not starting..............:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help. But, Im having trouble finding the valve adjustment sticky.

·
Git-R-Done
729 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts