Raptor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2001 raptor 660 knowing that it needed a one way. I put a new one way/chain/spark plug in it. The starter seems to turn the motor over fine, but no matter how much choke/throttle, the engine will not fire cold. I can pull start the quad and it will fire and run fine, although it does take a while before it fires up. After I let it come up to temperature, I can shut it off, and the starter button fires it right back up. I have taken the bowls off the carbs and blew air through.

Anyone have any ideas on what my problem could be?

Thanks!
Logan

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Sounds like your cam could be 180 degrees out. I had a similar problem before.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Same problem

I am having the same exact problem. I have been told by many to check valve clearance. I have checked it twice now and it's right on. Mine rolls over fine and then will back fire out the exhaust sometimes, still won't start, but if you push start it, it will fire right up. Don't know what else to check. HELP!!!

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Sounds like your cam could be 180 degrees out. I had a similar problem before.
What exactly does that mean? Its kinda like the timing being off right?

·
Master of the Electron
15,454 Posts
Cam can not be 180 degrees out - relative to the crankshaft - this would put it exactly in sync with the crank and piston again (crank turns twice for every turn of the cam), and therefore, correctly timed.

John, have you checked spark when cranking over with the starter? If it's not there or is just occasionally, try unplugging the connector from the rectifier/regulator. This eliminates a common short in the stator which can interrupt spark.

I still say your symptoms are exactly like those due to tight intake valves... but assuming you've checked clearance correctly, this is not your case.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I am having the same exact problem. I have been told by many to check valve clearance. I have checked it twice now and it's right on. Mine rolls over fine and then will back fire out the exhaust sometimes, still won't start, but if you push start it, it will fire right up. Don't know what else to check. HELP!!!
John, read this thread, and compare notes.............

http://www.raptorforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39381

1 - 7 of 7 Posts