Raptor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I recently purchased this quad and im having a few problems with it. First off it is a pull start. Sometimes it will start right up but most of the time it is taking at least 20 tries. I have so many blisters on both hands its not funny. Anyways my buddy suggested looking at the spark plug. So today I will probably replace plug and wire. Also it has overheated on me 2x now. After the first time I saw there was no coolant in the reservoir. So I put some in and rode it around some. The coolant was not in the resevoir anymore. So I filled it back it back up. Let the kids ride it again yesterday and it overheated again and no coolant in the resevoir. I do not see a leak. Any thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is what I found so far.... Took it all apart and pulled the plug. Cable looks good like the place I bought it from replaced it. Plug looked new but had some black on it. Not terrible but it was there. I wire brushed it clean to where it looks new again and put it back. I opened the radiator and couldnt see anything in it. I added coolant which it actually didnt take much to full. Then I filled the resevoir. Im going to wait about an hour before I put it back together. Ive got it on my concrete driveway so I should see a leak. If I dont then ill put it all back together and ride it for a while then park it back on concrete to see what I come up with.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Check your oil. May be leaking into the crank case. Blown head gasket is usually the suspect for the two symptoms you describe.

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
10,863 Posts
You might need a new plug now. Wire brushing will leave minute metal particles on the insulator that may cause misfire.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
K guys. Thanks for the replies. After avout an hour I had no leaks. So I put it all back together. I rode for a solid 1.5 hours and the level in the resevoir never changed. I also checked the oil. While high it appears to be just oil. Also when wire brushing I did it in the kitchen sink under water so hopefully that helped with the metal particles. Im wondering if my issue was a low radiator in the beginning. I never checked. We will be riding this evening when the kids get home so I will keep you posted.

·
Super Moderator
7,887 Posts
Just keep adding and watching for leaks. Check your oil again ensuring nothing has gotten there. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will do morphrider. When I rode it again it was back to the line were I originally filled too. Maybe heating and cooling. Anyways keeping a close eye on it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well yhis morning the coolant appears to be about an inch lower than the max fill line. Again may just be cooler temps but I decided that since I just bought it and im going to the parts store today for some grease Im gonna pick up some oil and change it. Only real way to get a look at yhe oil. Also gonna go ahead and start shopping for gasket kits to have on hand just in case. Are there any brands to stay away from?

·
Super Moderator
7,887 Posts
Try to find OEM for gasket kits, that should be just fine.

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
10,863 Posts
Open your radiator cap, fill to see water below the filler, and start the motor. Let it warm up, then look in the opening as you increase RPM's. You want to see turbulence, but no bubbles. If you see bubbles, you most likely have a blown gasket. You can also verify this, have your mechanic put his CO detector in your radiator. Any reading will verify a blown gasket. He prolly won't charge you, so have a $$.$$ tip handy.

+1 on OEM gaskets.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
K. Changed the oil and it was black as night. Let it sit awhile and no seperation. So thats a pretty good sign.

·
If you don't wreck, you don't ride
4,451 Posts
That is a good sign. But like me I have the same thing happening to my raptor but I used a multi layered steel head gasket which is allowing coolant to get by and pushed out the overflow discharge tube. I'll just add coolant for the time being, here in about a month I'm pulling the head and putting a OEM gasket on. I've done three different rebuilds one with a cometic head gasket (the one that is failing) and 2 OEM gaskets. The OEMs worked both times without a hitch.

·
Super Moderator
7,887 Posts
I have a cometic just sitting in a drawer for that very reason. OEM all the way lol...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts