Raptor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I guess my 01 raptors 660 ... 2gear is slipin a bit .. So I guess it's time to upgrade which is the best and cheapest way to go about this ... And which should i get Yukon or a used 02-05 tranny

·
Registered
164 Posts
Do you want best or cheapest? Yukon gears are arguably the best but an 02-05 tranny would be the cheapest if you can find one. The 02-05 is most common to use and is definitely a good fix.

·
Registered
164 Posts
For the entire 04 tranny, including reverse gear, input shaft with gears, output shaft with gears, shift forks, and shift drum, I spent $299 shipped from Ebay. I have since seen them for a little bit less, but I had the time off of school and purchased the "buy it now" so I could get it quickly. I did the labor myself with the help of a Clymer manual.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I bought an entire 2005 bottom end on eBay for 75 bux. I took a huge risk due to the connecting rod snapping, but as soon as I split the cases, all of the gears were in new condition. So if I were you, I would sit on eBay for a few days, then find a Clymer’s manual and get to it. That’s just my 2 cents…

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Any time you go that far into the engine you'll need a full Cometic gasket kit. Once you're in the engine you may want to do other maintenance things like hone the cylinder and new piston rings (I did this on mine because it was burning oil). I also replaced my valve seals. You'll need a tube of Yamabond gasket maker.

With the Yukon's you'll need some circlips that hold the gears in place on the shafts. With the 04 tranny that I bought, I didn't even take the gears off the input and output shafts. I just pulled my two old shafts, shift drum, and forks and replaced them all as units. Other than normal things like engine oil and coolant, you shouldn't need much more.

There may be other things I am not thinking of and there may be other things you find inside the motor that you want to replaced. I ended up replacing my oil pump gear. Some people recommend replacing the entire oil pump as a precaution.

There was a great write up on a website called Raptortranny.com which has since gone away. Here is a link to the archive of this site... it is missing some of the pictures but gives you a great description of every step. http://classic-web.archive.org/web/20071211222607/http://www.raptortranny.com/teardown1.php

Goodluck. Keep posting if you have questions for the guys in the forum. I am an amateur compared to most of these guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts