Raptor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an 02, all stock with an 03 motor (motor was supposedly rebuilt, but I don't know what was done to it) except for white bros. e series slip-on, which I added. It starts and idles smooth. but on accel., it feels like a 2 cyl. missing on one cyl. I used to have an 01 that did this occasionally, I'd just screw in a new plug, and it ran fine again. I've tried a couple different heat range plugs, and it doesn't seem to help. I just bought this thing and recently got it running (basket case that came in boxes), so I have no idea how its jetted (plugs seem a bit on the dark side). I've got an extra cdi I was thinking about throwing on. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Also, what were the stock h.p. numbers on these?

·
Registered
28 Posts
i had this prob with my 04. check the parking brake. when it is on it sets a rev limiter. mine was stickin open when i fliped it off. i was like wtf when i was on a trail. if that doesnt do it try re-jetting it and maybe check fuel filter and im sure the carb could be cleaned

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Figuring out your jetting is probably the next and definately an important step.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you suppose I'm too lean? It also almost impossible to move in reverse, hits rev limiter almost instantly. Is there a way to bypass the park brake switch? Or should I try the reverse limiter bypass and be done with it. Who makes a good jet kit? I also noticed it cuts out on the top end pre-maturely (with the stock silencer, haven't tried it with the white bros. yet).

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Reverse Rev Limiter Disconnect:
http://www.sandwizards.com/Pages/How-to/Raptor/Reverse_Rev_Limiter/Raptor-Reverse-Rev-Limiter-Disconnect.htm

I don't have a writeup of the parking brake disconnect off hand, there may be something in the old posts but I'm not sure. Basically the linkage and cable is removed, the place it mounts on the rear brake caliper gets covered with a block off plate. Those can be found just about anywhere. Then the plug on the clutch gets unplugged and something gets plugged back into itself. Honestly it's been so long since I've done it I've forgotten.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you haven't had the valves adjusted lately you might consider adjuting them.
I had a similar problem, my raptor ran rich and at idle ran rough. My intake vales were to tight.

Good Luck
Frank

·
Registered
11 Posts
I did it the hard expensive way when I had the same symptoms.Bought the Dynatek cdi box with the extra advance curves,[programable]cut the same wire as Sand wizard and grounded it the same way.The wire in the jacket is green with a white stripe on my 03.problem solved, full reverse,no braking down.This thing is a whole lot faster with the dynatec cdi box set on the regular stock curve.I haven't had a chance to play with curve 1,2,or 3 yet.Its just way too cold here in New England right now.Just another option,and setting myself up for hop up to come in the future. :grin_nod:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts