Raptor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad and I adjusted the valves on his 2002 Big Bear 400 and both intake and exhaust were tight. We adjusted them accordingly. After we started it up all we heard was a ticking noise after the adjustment. It didn't tick before we adjusted them either. Any ideas?

One plus is that it started up better after we adjusted the valves.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
My dad and I adjusted the valves on his 2002 Big Bear 400 and both intake and exhaust were tight. We adjusted them accordingly. After we started it up all we heard was a ticking noise after the adjustment. It didn't tick before we adjusted them either. Any ideas?

One plus is that it started up better after we adjusted the valves.
Yes, you adjusted at the wrong TDC, so TDC the engine again, and with the valve cover off, rock the crank back and forth up to a 1/4 turn, the valves should not move, if they move up and down in that 1/4 turn, you are one turn out on the crank so turn the crank shaft one complete revolution and recheck for valve movement, if none exists, reset the valves................

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, you adjusted at the wrong TDC, so TDC the engine again, and with the valve cover off, rock the crank back and forth up to a 1/4 turn, the valves should not move, if they move up and down in that 1/4 turn, you are one turn out on the crank so turn the crank shaft one complete revolution and recheck for valve movement, if none exists, reset the valves................
Where are the timing marks on it or how do you find exact TDC?

We were just going from the look of the piston.....

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Spot on Willy! Thanks a ton, bro :thumbsup:

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Spot on Willy! Thanks a ton, bro :thumbsup:
Usually when you set the engine at TDC and the valves have a very tight lash, the engine shouldnt even start, this is a good indicator that you have not got the right TDC, on the Raptors, the intake valves or seats generally wear a bit fast, especially the older models, when they wear, and do not start, the intakes may be tight but the exhaust should be fine...............

1 - 5 of 5 Posts