Raptor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I just picked up a 02 original tires,no mods low hours, carb was overflowing and owner adjusted the floats. I cleaned the cabs and checked all the jets and did the float mod to the tang and the floats had to set a 20mm or the carbs would overflow. Also installed new spark plug and checked parking brake and reverse limiter switch. The quad idles good and will pull top end good but 1/8 to 7/8 it spitts and backfires even when sitting still. Have I overlooked a passage in the carb or is it an electrical issue. Im planning on cleaning the carbs again in case I overlooked something.

·
Master of the Electron
15,065 Posts
What are the mods to exhaust and intake, what jets/pilot jets/needles are in it?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Hi guys I just picked up a 02 original tires,no mods low hours, carb was overflowing and owner adjusted the floats. I cleaned the cabs and checked all the jets and did the float mod to the tang and the floats had to set a 20mm or the carbs would overflow. Also installed new spark plug and checked parking brake and reverse limiter switch. The quad idles good and will pull top end good but 1/8 to 7/8 it spitts and backfires even when sitting still. Have I overlooked a passage in the carb or is it an electrical issue. Im planning on cleaning the carbs again in case I overlooked something.
what jetting is in the carbs presently, what mods are done to the intake, mainly air box and snorkel............

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No mods stock jets, air filter,snorkle and stock exhaust, I didnt remove the airscrews and clean the passeages and im thinking thats where my problem may be.

·
Master of the Electron
15,065 Posts
Cleaning carbs includes TOTAL disassembly (don't separate the two carbs though), spraying every passage with cleaner and air, cleaning each jet individually, ESPECIALLY the pilot jets which require rodding out the tiny passage with copper strands taken from speaker wire, and generally making everything clean enough to eat off of it... if this hasn't been done, the carbs have been 'wiped', not cleaned.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
No mods stock jets, air filter,snorkel and stock exhaust, I didn't remove the airscrews and clean the passages and im thinking that's where my problem may be.
The airscrews which are actually fuel screws can and will become dirty especially if the bike sits for long periods of time.............

1 - 6 of 6 Posts