Raptor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking at buying a Raptor. I found an 06 700 SE that is basically stock, and an 02 660 SE that has a yoshi pipe, is jetted, and has some bolt on shiny bits like nerf bars and aluminum heel guards. The 06 is $3200, the 02 is $2200.

Questions:

How great is the power difference?
What is better about the 06 compared to the 02? I know there is 26 more CCs, and the 06 has FI. What else?
Is the suspension on the 06 better than the 02 aside from the 02 shocks are probably more worn? I can buy a nice set of shocks for $1000!

Any advice appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
The front suspension on both the 06 and 02 are both the same type of shocks, and both are fairly poor compared to even entry level aftermarket shocks or the later 700R piggyback shocks.

I would suggest the 06, if it's in good shape then that's a good price. The 660 will be a bit more powerful than the 700 because the 660 has the pipe, but the 700 makes more stock vs stock. The handling of the 700 is considerably better from the factory. If the 660 already had some suspension modifications I might be able to recommend it, but you need wider a-arms, a wider axle, and new front shocks. Where as you'll be quite happy with a decent set of front shocks on the 700 which is already 3 inches wider than the 660 and a few inches lower.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Personally I would say the 06 hands down, thats a decent price(in these time you maight even talk them down). Reason being stock for stock the 700r is just a better setup. The list is long. Just my .02

Darryll

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
i guess it depends how much money you have. if you have enough for the 700 then go for it. but if your low on cash like i was then theres nothing wrong with a 660. including the price of my bike i have almost $4500 in it. if i could do it over again i woulda saved up and spent $4500 on a bad ass bike instead of building a (what is now) dinosaur :lol:

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
+1 on everything said above, the 700 is an all around better platform and way more parts made for the 700 than the 660. The 660 is a good bike but its outdated go for the 06 you wont regret it

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Man you guys are giving my inner cheapskate fits!! I figured the 700 was the better choice, but seeing the $1000 difference made me think twice, and three times. So now having decided on the 700, was there any improvements from 06 to 07? I found an 07 that is a few humdred more for basically stock.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
if im not mistaken i think the only difference is the front shocks were updated to the piggyback version

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
if im not mistaken i think the only difference is the front shocks were updated to the piggyback version
There's no difference from 06 to 07 other than the vapor lock issue was fixed (never had a problem with mine) the resi shocks were only on the se black and orange and seII white and blue and Gytr models

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
so the 07 SE had non pogo shocks right?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts