Raptor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Lifetime Premium
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help from you 660 Based Guys. I'm on the hunt for a web site or ANY info on wiring for the 660 02+ Raptors. I'm looking for a Wiring diagram (schematic) for the 660 based 02+ years raptor. Now I know your going to point me towards the sticky in this section, problem is that diagram is for an 01 wiring system.

The way to tell the difference is the third-4 prong plug on the 01 CDI only has 1 wire running out of the CDI (G/Y) The Newer (02+) 4 prong plug has wires on ALL 4 prong of the CDI. I can provide wire color codes for the 4 wires if needed, I'll have to dig out the 02+ wiring harness I have.

Thanks in advance for ANY and ALL info provided.

·
Lifetime Premium
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Lifetime Premium
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I just found what I was looking for. Thanks for the push Gene.......... ;)

·
Master of the Electron
14,770 Posts
After quite a while trying to get the other schematic (the one NOT in the PDF manual), and with help from ROCKO, who has done the conversion and sent me pictures and drawings of it, I think I finally have the definitive answer to the 01 vs 02 CDI wiring debacle. Please comment or tell me if any of you see an error!

Here's the original pinouts from the manual (looking into the connectors at the wiring harness end) This is the 01 version, according to BigDaddy

and here's the pinouts required for the 02+ according to ROCKO. He sent pictures of the wires in place, so I have confidence that this is correct:

Does this agree with what you have now learned, BigDaddy?

Hope this helps.

·
Lifetime Premium
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
YES the top pic is the 01 pin plot on the CDI

I'm still doing research on the 02+ but I real sure you have a winner on that pin plot also.

·
Super Moderator
17,057 Posts
So am I to conclude then that the copy of the service manual floating around on the net contains only the 01 wiring diagram?

·
Lifetime Premium
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So am I to conclude then that the copy of the service manual floating around on the net contains only the 01 wiring diagram?
Mike if you find this CDI pin plot then yes it's an 01 wiring diagram........

·
Registered
5 Posts
Gentlemen, perhaps I have a unique atv but my 2005 660 has 3 wires coming from that block, not 4. the fourth hole has a plug in it. Now I don't have the quad in front of me so I can only say that either the G/W or G/Y is missing. Any thoughts/comments as to why that might be? Also the link did not work for me. Site claims that it was pulled down due to some legal infraction...

Further note: Is the starter relay solenoid wiring pinout still correct as to the standard service manual? I installed a generic, it crapped out on me and I got a direct replacement. In the midst of that I fear I may have incorrectly reinstalled the wires to the connection block (I had used a small screwdriver to release the pins from the block and pull the wires out while still connected to the terminals. To save myself from cutting wires and attaching new terminals)

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Master of the Electron
14,770 Posts
The 05 does not have a parking brake switch, and so does not have the green/yellow wire in that connector location.

·
Registered
5 Posts
A: Quadmaniac, Thanks. My quad does have a parking brake but I assume you mean my version doesn't include a switch.

B: Mike or Mad Dog, the only pinout I see is just for the CDI. Also the two links in this thread have been removed from Scribd. I just bought a Clymer's and am currently browsing it...

·
Master of the Electron
14,770 Posts
A: Quadmaniac, Thanks. My quad does have a parking brake but I assume you mean my version doesn't include a switch.
Read my post again, sloooowwwwlyyyy... quote: "The 05 does not have a parking brake switch." LOL, I usually read things in such a hurry that I miss details like that all the time.

RE: starter relay - it's connector's pin out is unchanged from 01 - 05... all years.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Read my post again, sloooowwwwlyyyy... quote: "The 05 does not have a parking brake switch."

LMAO! Smart arse... :) but yeah, yeah. I'll just put it this way, I'm guessing all raptors were equipped with parking brakes, correct? Oh, just an aside, this thing is my first quad so I really don't know a good general history on it. So as such, I think I heard the switches were problematic and Yamaha redesigned them so that just the switch was removed from the parking brake system? Basically I'm just spieling out loud, I know lol but it kinda helps getting facts ironed out. Sorry for the nubism and thanks for the help! =)

·
Master of the Electron
14,770 Posts
Not the first time I've been accused of being a smart 'arse', nor is it likely to be the last... ;)

I don't think Yamaha put that much thought into it - they only eliminated one switch and that, I believe, is simply because they changed the parking brake lever significantly on the 05 and the new one didn't have an easy mechanical interface to a switch. So they took the easy way out - eliminating the switch and associated wiring.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts