Raptor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new to the forum. I just bought a 02 raptor 660 bored to 686, jetted, stage 2 hot cams, slip on exhaust, k&n air filter, durablue rear axle which is extended 3 inches and the front a arms are extented 3in. My problem is that yester day i got to really ride it for the first time. I checked all the fluids before I started riding after about 30-45 minutes of riding the temp light came on. i shut it down and checked the radiator and it was empty. i checked the oil and there was no anit-freeze in there. I then refilled it to look for a leek. After another short ride, I noiced that it was coming out the over flow hose on the over flow tank. Has anyone ever experianced this before or have any suggestions on where to start to look for a problem. It did not overheat after the first time.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Hello, new to the forum. I just bought a 02 raptor 660 bored to 686, jetted, stage 2 hot cams, slip on exhaust, k&n air filter, durablue rear axle which is extended 3 inches and the front a arms are extented 3in. My problem is that yester day i got to really ride it for the first time. I checked all the fluids before I started riding after about 30-45 minutes of riding the temp light came on. i shut it down and checked the radiator and it was empty. i checked the oil and there was no anit-freeze in there. I then refilled it to look for a leek. After another short ride, I noiced that it was coming out the over flow hose on the over flow tank. Has anyone ever experianced this before or have any suggestions on where to start to look for a problem. It did not overheat after the first time.
Check for dirt under the little valve at the bottom of the rad cap or a leaking rad cap...........

·
Master of the Electron
15,059 Posts
Shawn, have you checked as Willy suggested? The other likelihood is a leaking head gasket - let's hope it's just a non-working fan or bad radiator cap.

Let us know your symptoms in more detail and we can help you find out what's wrong.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah after trying everything else I did a leak down test on it and found out I was getting compression into the anti freeze. When I tore it apart I found that I had a head bolt loose and it took out the head gasket. I also found. That my fan sensor was not working.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I like these guys that come on here looking for help, but never respond back to even tell us if they found the problem, or if they are still alive..............:D

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
This one did :thumbsup:

Sometimes it just takes a little prompting, but I agree it'd be nice to hear back so people can see what worked, what didn't, and improve their own chances of fixing their problems.

·
Master of the Electron
15,059 Posts
Thanks for the response, fubar. It's nice to know what's happened. Hope you got it straightened out and all's running well now.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah after trying everything else I did a leak down test on it and found out I was getting compression into the anti freeze. When I tore it apart I found that I had a head bolt loose and it took out the head gasket. I also found. That my fan sensor was not working.
After tearing the top end apart, I also notice that I had a loose cylinder bolt. Turns out that I had a bolt in the wrong spot. Bolts with the dimple go toward timing chain. When you say that your " Fan Sensor " was not working. Is that the Thermo Switch?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After tearing the top end apart, I also notice that I had a loose cylinder bolt. Turns out that I had a bolt in the wrong spot. Bolts with the dimple go toward timing chain. When you say that your " Fan Sensor " was not working. Is that the Thermo Switch?
My sensor on the bottom left side of the radiator was not working and the fan was not kicking. Sorry it takes me a while to get back to messages. I just had my first child and things have been hectic lol.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Congrats on the rug rat!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Im having a similar problem that just started last weekend.

Just came back from 4th of july trip with no probs. Last weekend ran bike in garage for a while, prob 10 to 15mins.. i shut the bike down and it shot a bit of coolant out the overflow.. temp light didnt come on nor did the fan.

where should I check first? never had to replace any parts of the cooling system before. so its all stock.

hope its simple like thermostat.

thanks for input

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
My sensor on the bottom left side of the radiator was not working and the fan was not kicking. Sorry it takes me a while to get back to messages. I just had my first child and things have been hectic lol.
Congrats on the little one, now it gets more expensive. You thought having the bike was bad, LOL.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Shawn, have you checked as Willy suggested? The other likelihood is a leaking head gasket - let's hope it's just a non-working fan or bad radiator cap.

Let us know your symptoms in more detail and we can help you find out what's wrong.
I have a question for anyone who is knowledgeable? I have a 2003 raptor 660 I changed to coolant bleed the system took my quad out ridding and it’s started overheating I took the thermostat out and it’s still boiling oil out of my overflow ? No oil in the antifreeze and no antifreeze in my oil ? It takes about 20 min to over heat ?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
If there is no blockage in the radiator, it's likely the white plastic waterpump gear has stripped(common), so you would have no circulation, which would cause the overheating.
Pull the waterpump and clutch cover and check the gear.

·
Master of the Electron
15,059 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Why did you change coolant in the first place?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts