Raptor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried to start thursday and wouldn't crank, got it running saturday to find gas in the oil. Change the oil and find that the petcock is not cutting off and the needles are not shutting off. Are these common problems with these? Drained the fuel tank until I have time to knock the carbs down. Never seen a petcock not shut off.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Tried to start thursday and wouldn't crank, got it running saturday to find gas in the oil. Change the oil and find that the petcock is not cutting off and the needles are not shutting off. Are these common problems with these? Drained the fuel tank until I have time to knock the carbs down. Never seen a petcock not shut off.
Mlost likely the needle and seats are contaminated, this will cause them to stick, and overflow the carbs or even not let fuel into the float bowls, as far as the petcock, make sure it is properly shut off.................

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the petcock only has one way to turn it off, in the middle postion the fuel slows about 1/2, but does not stop with the line disconnected, in the on and res it flows a full stream.

·
Master of the Electron
15,653 Posts
Seals in petcock are bad. Float valves are stuck open. Common when bike sits for a long time and fuel is allowed to evaporate away leaving nasty varnish everywhere.

To get fuel in oil (instead of all over your floor), most likely one or both of the overflow tubes or hoses is plugged also.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like Ethanol has struck yet again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts