Raptor Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 03 660 Raptor was running perfect, starting missing very bad, started running great for a spell then started cutting our again.
Seems like I read somewhere that this could be the emergency brake switch, maybe. If so how do you jump this out. I bought a factory manual and just haven't had time to look at the wiring.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Have A Big Time!

Wade

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
If it is the parking brake switch circuit shorting and causing the rpm limiter to come on, simply cut the green/white wire up near the CDI - seal the end that goes to the CDI (with tape or RTV) to prevent water from shorting it to ground in the future.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
My 03 660 Raptor was running perfect, starting missing very bad, started running great for a spell then started cutting our again.
Seems like I read somewhere that this could be the emergency brake switch, maybe. If so how do you jump this out. I bought a factory manual and just haven't had time to look at the wiring.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Have A Big Time!

Wade
And if it is your reverse rev limiter, ground the green and white wire.............

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So do I ground the g/w wire or cut it and seal in up in a way to keep it from shorting to ground in the future?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
So do I ground the g/w wire or cut it and seal in up in a way to keep it from shorting to ground in the future?
You need to pull the wire back from the switch and ground it to the frame or battery.........

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
Parking Brake switch wire = GREEN/YELLOW - Cut it up at the CDI and leave disconnected . If this one shorts to ground (even via water) the RPM limiter will come on.

Reverse switch wire = GREEN/WHITE - Cut and ground the CDI end of the wire to frame or battery negative. If this one is left NOT connected to ground, the RPM limiter will come on. The reverse switch grounds it when NOT in reverse, and lets if float when IN reverse - turning on the limiter. Grounding this wire prevents the limiter from coming on in case the connection to the switch becomes loose or dirty.

·
Registered
521 Posts
if its the reverse limiter..the light should flash while it starts acting up.

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
Yes, but that assumes the reverse light circuit is working... often it is not. After about the 1000'th time telling someone how to eliminate the limiter, it just gets too long to ask whether the reverse light works properly, etc., etc., etc... just easier to have them ground the wire and see if it goes away... THEN tell them why.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maybe something was going on with the reverse switch a the light would flicker on/ off some while riding. probably the best thing to do is take care of both the parking brake and reverse switch.
Thanks, I really appreciate the information.

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
LOL, If you had mentioned that first we would have told you to remove, clean, tighten and reconnect the reverse wire connector - on the green/white wire, plugged into the reverse switch down by the front sprocket. It's a rubber covered, right angle single wire plug - tighten the plug by squeezing it gently with pliers. Clean all conducting surfaces and put it back together - your flickering reverse light AND your sputtering will go away.

You called it, Ocelot!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Samething happened to me...
cut the wire at the cdi, soldered a longer wire on it, put a ring terminal on the end, now its attached to the negative terminal...no problems since!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I forgot about the light until something was said about the reverse, my bad. Heck if I had looked at the typical opportunities for a 660, I would have seen this is a common occurence and wouldn't have had to post something that has probably already been posted countless time. Duh! Cal me a big dummy. LOL!
I do appreciate the advice, thanks again. Well try to do better.

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
Yeah - read ''Most common problems with the 660' - a sticky at top of General 660 section. Check this before posting and you would have had your answer already. Not that we mind answering questions - but you would have had your solution a few days sooner... and that's the important thing!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts