Raptor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought a 2003 raptor 5 days ago when i was at the guys house it started great no problem then i got it home rode it a little in my back alley turned it off and let it sit over night. next day i go put it in my truck and take it to the country to get some riding time in and it wont start :mad:.. when you pull the clutch in to start it the starter spins but sounds like its not catching anything. also figured out when it is doing this it wont allow you to put it into first gear but if i put it into 2nd gear and push it and force it to roll (you can hear the cylinder release compression when i push it) the starter will start to catch and tghe bike will start.. anyone know what i need to replace/adjust to fix this problem??

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
i bought a 2003 raptor 5 days ago when i was at the guys house it started great no problem then i got it home rode it a little in my back alley turned it off and let it sit over night. next day i go put it in my truck and take it to the country to get some riding time in and it wont start :mad:.. when you pull the clutch in to start it the starter spins but sounds like its not catching anything. also figured out when it is doing this it wont allow you to put it into first gear but if i put it into 2nd gear and push it and force it to roll (you can hear the cylinder release compression when i push it) the starter will start to catch and tghe bike will start.. anyone know what i need to replace/adjust to fix this problem??
This is common for the Raptor starter to do this, your oneway clutch is defective..................
Check this out, it is superior to the OEM style.........
http://www.raptoroneway.com/

·
Master of the Electron
15,622 Posts
It is called the starter one-way clutch - it is on the back of the flywheel... it costs around $250 and will cost another $250 or so for install.

Once it starts slipping it is dumping small pieces of metal into the oil sump - replace it now, before some of that metal gets sucked up into the tranny and causes some WAY more expensive damage. It will intermittently work, and then slip... but it's dead and needs to be replaced. As Willy said, the L&A unit is much better than the stock system (we've just about ALL had to replace the stock unit), and they're compatibly priced.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts