Raptor Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
one of my budys recently got a 03 raptor 660, it runs and goes fine till its warmed up than it wont idle. the ticking is coming from the left side of the motor. the previos owner said it was a bad timing tensioner but its more of a tick than a chain slap. any ideas?

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
CHeck the tensioner (remove center bolt first, then remove tensioner). If there's only a couple of clicks left on the tension piston, then the noise you are hearing IS chain slap... it needs to be replaced.

When replacing the tensioner make sure to compress the tenison piston all the way in, then install tensioner without center bolt, then install the center bolt.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dumb question but were is center bolt on 660, lol im used to working on my yfz

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
The tensioner is on the rear of case (jug), left side. Remove the center bolt from the tensioner (this relieves spring force on the tensioner's one-way cam or piston) and then remove the tensioner itself. This allows you to look at the cam and see if it is already being held at near full extension.

If you try to install the tensioner with the center bolt already installed in it, the spring will push the cam all the way out, and when you then crank down on the tensioner bolts, it will put undue tension on the timing chain, causing damage to the cam or cam journals.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
The tensioner is on the rear of case (jug), left side. Remove the center bolt from the tensioner (this relieves spring force on the tensioner's one-way cam or piston) and then remove the tensioner itself. This allows you to look at the cam and see if it is already being held at near full extension.

If you try to install the tensioner with the center bolt already installed in it, the spring will push the cam all the way out, and when you then crank down on the tensioner bolts, it will put undue tension on the timing chain, causing damage to the cam or cam journals.
Maybe he has the new style tensioner which is the same as the YFZs, you need a small screwdriver inserted in to the end to lock the piston back in......

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
I've never heard of this one... would it be in an 03 660?

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
Fair enough.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
do i take the hole housing off or just the bolt

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
Remove center bolt, then remove tensioner housing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts