Raptor Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is the starter or something worse. I went out this weekend to start up my sons 80 to let it run since it has sit or around a month since being started. I flip the choke, turn on the fuel and go to start it and nothing... dead battery. I popped of the seat and put the jumper cables from my riding mower to the 80 and let it sit for a second. I hit the start button and just get a series of fast, loud clicks.

Am I right in the thinking the starter is shot? I tapped on it with a hammer to see if maybe I could free it up while trying to start it but didn't get any luck with that.

Thanks
John

·
Registered
57 Posts
It sounds like the starter is not getting enough volts. You may want to have the battery tested at a local auto store. Some times a battery will show it is charged, but will have very low cranking amps.

·
Registered
836 Posts
the clicking you are hearing is coming from the starter relay or starter solenoid.. Pretty much what that means is, you didn't have enough juice coming from the mower to get the quad started. You need to try jumping it from a car or put it on a trickle charger or something..

If you really wan't to get it started, roll the quad in neutral down a hill or something and pop it into gear and it should start up (jump start)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts