Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
01/03 raptor no power(electrical)..still no luck.

turned the key on and cranked a couple times and all lights went out. turned off key and turned back on....alll lights again then died while idling. no lights again. now nothing with key on...... had a few issues where it would just shut off on the trail and light back up....

think the key switch is bad? no lights,indicators,,,nothing.

PS my first post here but ill be around. just bought this quad as a spare for my kid. Runs strong and fast.....really loud.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also have 1 other issue with fan always running. never shuts off(when the power is working). ideas?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
also have 1 other issue with fan always running. never shuts off(when the power is working). ideas?
Someone probably wired the fan so it runs all the time...........
I suggest checking the complete wiring harness for bad connections...........

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
ever have a starter stick causing a short or drain? im leaning towards to starter relay.

hook up a charger to battery and turn on key everything comes on real dim. no crank. I dont think the starter switch is bad cause if i touch it the lights go dim and oil light flickers.

i wiggled the relay and lights came on for a second but now just dim again with battery charger on.

i was told its an 01 raptor with an 03 motor. wish i knew exactly. for parts in future. Like cdi rev box,starter clutch, etc......

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
ok figued out the frame is an 01.....was told buy previous owner that it had the trans issue. bought a wrecked 03 and swapped all the parts over. saw the 03 in pcs. offered me the whole thing for $500. didnt have it at the time. wished id did. cause he would have given the old motor and what was left of 03. except tires and rims...

just trying to verify motor vin now. found the numbers on lower front of cylinder... just to try and decode those now...

PS i only pd $1600 for it.......so im not afraid of some minor work.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
charged battery... cleaned and reatached connections at battery and starter relay. turned key on ...weak indicator lights. then they went brite. when i hit the starter... clicking sound from relay and lights went weak to none. now no juice again......

with weak and no lights at dash indicators , im not thinking relay. but im not sure......still leaning towards relay,switch, and handlebar pod...doesnt the main switch and indicators get the power before relay? or is a short causing the issue? loose connection?

have a 2001 manual(yamaha) and cant find anything that points to my issue.

maybe a froze up starter???

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
yes i found it on craigslist. thats not the issue... i know it buyer beware.

we have rode it for 4 months with relatively no issues. just every once in awhile it would just shut off and no indicator lights. turn key off then back on and it would restart and run fine rest of day.

just went out today to barn to start all the toys to keep everything lubed and circulated. It did fire over and run for a second.then just quit. no weird noises..... then when i went to refire it the issue started....i thought the staer button might have stuck once when it first started issues. i think right before the issue maybe.

The more i check things im leaning towards handlebar pod with starter switch/choke..... or the starter is stuck. whats weird is the indicators and fan turn on(wired fulltime) and when i turn on headlights it all went dim.... got the lights to all come on again and hit starter button.lights went weak.... now no juice again. tapped on switch assembly and indicators came on weak with fan weak... then all sudden strong fan and string indicators again till either starter button OR headlight on switch.

gonna pull front plastic off to look for bad conector or something tomorrow or this week. I work till dark so working in barn is darker and cold. ive got lights and cement floor though. These old bones just cant take working on cold cement for very long anymore....

·
Registered
881 Posts
I see, I was only asking because I was looking on craigslist the other day and there was a raptor with electrical issues. I didn't know if u had just picked it up or not.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
nope i bought mine last yr....

My main quad is an 07 rengade 500. bought this as our(family) ripper. We always wanted one to just rip on the trails. it rips when it runs. loud. pulls the front in 3 gears....really nice shape.

has parking brake dlete, uni-flow filter, loud muffler w/ sprk arrestor, razors, nerfs,.........

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
i had a problem with the plug that goes to key switch. there was no power going through the plug.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
im leaning towards that area. cause i disconnected starter from the solenoid. tapped on handlebar switch and lights all came on till i hit the stater button(no starter hooked). the solenoid goes click. Then lights and fan go weak then dead. f with it some more. lights all came on and when hit switch again light all went off.

So starter is not the issue.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
where are the connectors for the handle switch and the main key switch located. I suppose its all under the front fender. guess i gotta figure out how to take all that off now.

now im begining to think the full-time wired fan might be part of the issue. so i gonna have to figure out what they did to wire it direct....

damn i hate electrical issues...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
could the starter be shorted?

left it disconnected all night on charger. Left disconnected the lead from solenoid to starter. everything seems fine. hit start button and relay clicks just fine. Hook the wire up(to starter) everything is fine till i hit the start button and battery goes almost instantly dead.

dont think motor is locked cause it was cranking fine before the issue started. BUT seemed like starter stuck on after i let off the button. No weird noises during crank....

please help! dont mind ordering a starter but dont want to order if not needed.

do you need to remove pipe and ? to access the starter for removal.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
took off the starter gear cover and pulled out gears. hit starter button. starter doesnt move and battery goes instantly dead. disconnected lead and battery and lights all come back on.

think ive found the issue

opinions.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
took off the starter gear cover and pulled out gears. hit starter button. starter doesnt move and battery goes instantly dead. disconnected lead and battery and lights all come back on.

think ive found the issue

opinions.
Starter problems, either seized or burnt out...............

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
think it seized and shorted..... glad its not the atv motor. everything else seems fine without it hooked and tried.

already ordered another ....

its alright. iwanted to take the pipe off anyway to repaint with high-temp black....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well after finding time to tear aprt and replace starter and no difference. Im beginning to think maybe i have a messed up battery.......

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Ya dude i would say its the battery. I had a problem alot like yours with a welder/generator and it took me forever to figure it out and my dad came over looked at it and told me it was the battery. Sure as shit, changed the battery and it fixed it. =)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
trying to verify the solenoid is wired wcorrectly.... u tell me? M and B terminal...do those stand for Battery and Motor ? 1 post seems to have a copper tab coming from inside the soleniod itself.

Was just gonna order another new one and make up a new starter cable. Pics of the ones ive seen seems like some are wired one way and some are post-reversed on others.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts