Raptor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I touch anything, I wanted to get some advice. I bought a 03 660 ( has a slip on pipe, k&n air filter and no air box lid) from a guy who I would say knows his stuff. Here are my symptoms.

1. When I'm riding in 1st gear bike runs fine. when I shift to second and slowly run on the throttle there is a throttle position that i would say is before 1/2 half throttle that sputters. It almost sound like I'm hitting a rev limiter. I read the post on rev limiters and removed the parking brake limiter. I also checked, but DID not remove/ground the reverse sensor b/c the reverse light didn't come on when the sputtering started.

2. When the bike starts to sputter on level ground, I can usually give it more throttle and it will sputter for a second and then run fine. If I'm climbing a hill, giving it throttle doesn't work. It just keeps sputtering and dies, or I down shift to first, or I pull the clutch in, give it throttle, to get it past that point.

3. I checked the spark plug and it looks like I'm running slightly rich.

4. Other than that the bike runs great. Any help anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated. Also, if this is in the wrong section please move the thread. Thank you.

·
Master of the Electron
15,044 Posts
I suspect it's time for a full, thorough carb cleaning.

If you can get through the sputtering and get to higher RPM's it's not one of the RPM limiters, it's most likely dirty carb jets and/or passages.

Remove and dismantly completely (don't separate the carbs) and clean everything till spotless... You'll find hundreds of posts here that describe cleaning the carbs.

·
Registered
99 Posts
i'm having a similar issue, and i think i am jetted to rich. Check what jets you have while you're in there cleaning the carb.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Before I touch anything, I wanted to get some advice. I bought a 03 660 ( has a slip on pipe, k&n air filter and no air box lid) from a guy who I would say knows his stuff. Here are my symptoms.

1. When I'm riding in 1st gear bike runs fine. when I shift to second and slowly run on the throttle there is a throttle position that i would say is before 1/2 half throttle that sputters. It almost sound like I'm hitting a rev limiter. I read the post on rev limiters and removed the parking brake limiter. I also checked, but DID not remove/ground the reverse sensor b/c the reverse light didn't come on when the sputtering started.

2. When the bike starts to sputter on level ground, I can usually give it more throttle and it will sputter for a second and then run fine. If I'm climbing a hill, giving it throttle doesn't work. It just keeps sputtering and dies, or I down shift to first, or I pull the clutch in, give it throttle, to get it past that point.

3. I checked the spark plug and it looks like I'm running slightly rich.

4. Other than that the bike runs great. Any help anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated. Also, if this is in the wrong section please move the thread. Thank you.
Try dropping the needles a notch each...........

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. I'm pulling the carb off tomorrow. I'll let you know the fix action and results.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! it was a clogged jet. I pulled it apart sprayed it carb cleaner and hit with the air compressor. I saw the jet come unclogged. It was obvious. Test rode this morning no more sputtering. Thanks again for the help everyone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts