Raptor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let a friend ride the quad so idk what happened when it quit.
The electric starter seems to work , it will turn all day long but it doesn’t seem to be turning the motor . Took that side cover off and all gears appear fine... the thing won’t bump start either ...

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Its nearly impossible to diagnose something that wont bump start bc there really isnt a good way to tell if its getting spark and fuel that way. Fix the starter problem first and we can go from there. If you have a flywheel puller, take the flywheel off and inspect the starter one way gear/bearing. Its a common problem on 660s

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don’t have a flywheel puller . I’m assuming the flywheel is the round thing that would spin around the stator that has a gear right behind it ? That gear spins freely clockwise but not counterclockwise.. I can grab that thing an spin it counter cw, not easily but I can and it feels like it’s spinning internals fine.. not sure if that info helps any? I’m kind of a rookie mechanic so please bear with me , I usually teach myself allot from YouTube or google but haven’t had luck finding a relevant situation .

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Sounds right. Your sure the starter isnt turning the crankshaft?

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Sounds right. Your sure the starter isnt turning the crankshaft?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess I’m not positive but it doesn’t sound like it at all ... sounds like the starter is just spinning freely in there , there’s no chug or anything to make me think she’s turning . Otherwise I would imagine it to fire up but that’s contradicting because she won’t even bump start . I would just drop it off at a shop but I just replaced it with an 06 700efi so I don’t really want to throw much money at the 660 , I just wanted to keep her around as a backup or for a friend to go riding with me .

·
Master of the Electron
14,485 Posts
So, in case one, the starter motor is turning but it is not engaged with nor turning the crankshaft -so of course the engine won't fire and run on it's own.

Look through the crankshaft inspection port while starting to verify whether the crank is turning or not.

In case two, the quad won't bump start (through pushing the quad and engaging the clutch while in gear, thereby turning over the engine until it fires and runs on it's own).

These two cases are mutually exclusive - you have multiple problems. You need to concentrate on and fix only one at a time.

Case 1 (crank not turning while starting) is due to one of only several possibilities

1- the flywheel is spinning on the crankshaft because the woodruff key is sheared or missing
2- the starter intermediate gear is missing or
3- the starter one-way clutch has failed, this is the most common and is your most likely issue.

Fix case 1 and you will then be able to troubleshoot whether or not the engine will fire up without having to rely on bump starting (case 2).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, in case one, the starter motor is turning but it is not engaged with nor turning the crankshaft -so of course the engine won't fire and run on it's own.

Look through the crankshaft inspection port while starting to verify whether the crank is turning or not.

In case two, the quad won't bump start (through pushing the quad and engaging the clutch while in gear, thereby turning over the engine until it fires and runs on it's own).

These two cases are mutually exclusive - you have multiple problems. You need to concentrate on and fix only one at a time.

Case 1 (crank not turning while starting) is due to one of only several possibilities

1- the flywheel is spinning on the crankshaft because the woodruff key is sheared or missing
2- the starter intermediate gear is missing or
3- the starter one-way clutch has failed, this is the most common and is your most likely issue.

Fix case 1 and you will then be able to troubleshoot whether or not the engine will fire up without having to rely on bump starting (case 2).
Thank you , I will look into that and see what I find out !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts