Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey joined this site a while back when i used to have a 01 raptor.. great site! long story short.. i just bought a 03 raptor. ever since igot it.. it has been hard starting.. you have to hold the throttle wide open for it to start. Once it is running it will run fine with no problems or anything. well i figured it was just dirty carbs so yesterday I spent 6 hours tearing them apart n putting them back together trial and erroring on getting the air/fuel mixture screw back where it seems to have power again. last night I had it where it would still start up n run since motor was lil warm still. today I go to try n start it and it tried once to fire up n died and since then all it does is crank. it seems to me that it is flooded.. before it would run with or without the choke on.. The raptor is bone stock except for maybe a bore job.. unsure about that. the jets i believe are still factory ones. Airbox is factory with the lid and even the snorkel still attached. Willy seems to be the go to guy so I hope he can help me out. I think I have the screws turned 2.5 turns out( don't hold me to that..can't remember haha) To cap up my problems.. even before and after taking carbs apart.. it still wont start unless throttle is at WOT. After it finally starts up.. it seems to run fine.. need help. thanks

·
Master of the Electron
15,680 Posts
Check and adjust your valves. The intakes tighten as they wear and make cold starting a bear.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If that was the situation you would think it would misfire if the valve was being held open a little bit or something. I will look into some other threads and see what the clearance is supposed to be on the valves and try it. It runs great when it running.. haha stupid. no clatter or anything. I will look into that maniac. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seems to be likely though after I looked into some other threads on here, but have not seen what the clearances are supposed to be.. I got a couple feeler gauges.. assuming you use them on a raptor the same as you do any other dirtbike etc i have had.. put it between the arm and the tappet on the valve on TDC correct? You can do this just by pulling the caps on the top of the head right? thanks

·
Registered
162 Posts
yes adjusting your valves is the exact same as any dirtbike or car. And the two caps will get you to the two exhaust valves. gotta pull the gas tank off to get to the 3 intake valves. Usually just needs the exhaust side tampered with

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Hey joined this site a while back when i used to have a 01 raptor.. great site! long story short.. i just bought a 03 raptor. ever since igot it.. it has been hard starting.. you have to hold the throttle wide open for it to start. Once it is running it will run fine with no problems or anything. well i figured it was just dirty carbs so yesterday I spent 6 hours tearing them apart n putting them back together trial and erroring on getting the air/fuel mixture screw back where it seems to have power again. last night I had it where it would still start up n run since motor was lil warm still. today I go to try n start it and it tried once to fire up n died and since then all it does is crank. it seems to me that it is flooded.. before it would run with or without the choke on.. The raptor is bone stock except for maybe a bore job.. unsure about that. the jets i believe are still factory ones. Airbox is factory with the lid and even the snorkel still attached. Willy seems to be the go to guy so I hope he can help me out. I think I have the screws turned 2.5 turns out( don't hold me to that..can't remember haha) To cap up my problems.. even before and after taking carbs apart.. it still wont start unless throttle is at WOT. After it finally starts up.. it seems to run fine.. need help. thanks
Generally if you need to hold the throttle full open to start, you either have too much fuel entering the combustion chamber, or you do not have enough air entering the combustion chamber too start igntion, so basically the same scenario............
This could be caused by intake valves that are tight, (insufficient valve clearance) or you are running rich for some reason, possible float levels too high............................

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have read the thread dealing with adjusting the floats, but never understood it really.. Don't see how you can regulate how much fuel goes into the bowls. Seems to me that there is not enough air entering the combustion chamber. Hence WOT. Before it has started right up after cranking a while n ran fine, but since I adjusted the screw last night.. It fired up for about 2 secs today and died and seemed to be flooded. I may have the air/ fuel mix screw out too far making it run too rich, but as i said.. once its started it runs fine.. it will fire back up continuously. I just went to go out today to try it and it didnt wanna do much other then run for couple secs and died and seemed flooded after that. I pulled the plug yesterday.. sparking fine.. had nice gold brown look to it BEFORE I changed mixture screw. So if the clearances are too tight on the valves.. I would think it would hold them open and not make any compression. I am going to download the manual here in a bit now that I am at work with a nice printer and look through it. haha Still at a loss.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I have an update.. I just got off work and adjusted my valves to on the feelergauge said .005 underneath it was 127mm. Thats the feeler I used on the 3 intake valves and it still will not start unless at WOT. I finally got it started and let it sit and idle for a little while.. the exhaust color had maybe a slight hint of white to it. I ended up putting the choke on and instantly turned the exhaust black and ended up killing it. I tried to start it back up and would not start back up unless you hold throttle wide open once again. Hence when it was running I had the airlid off and the air filter out. Still don't know what the deal is. Starting to frustrate me because my 01 I had would fire right up no problems.. this one starting to piss me off.. lol any more ideas??

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Well, I have an update.. I just got off work and adjusted my valves to on the feelergauge said .005 underneath it was 127mm. Thats the feeler I used on the 3 intake valves and it still will not start unless at WOT. I finally got it started and let it sit and idle for a little while.. the exhaust color had maybe a slight hint of white to it. I ended up putting the choke on and instantly turned the exhaust black and ended up killing it. I tried to start it back up and would not start back up unless you hold throttle wide open once again. Hence when it was running I had the airlid off and the air filter out. Still don't know what the deal is. Starting to frustrate me because my 01 I had would fire right up no problems.. this one starting to piss me off.. lol any more ideas??
If you have the carbs jetted for a lid and filter, removing the lid and filter alters the jetting and will cause issues............

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Still no luck with raptor. I have adjusted the screws all way in and backed them out a little bit.. backfires thru the intake.. tried running them out a little bit farther and it back fires out the exhaust with a flame. no idea what to do. I went and bought a new sparkplug for it to see if it changed anything.. i did not.
you would think turning the screw 3 turns out it would run fine, but its not.

·
Registered
492 Posts
you say you cleaned the carb but did you clean it ENTIRELY? Take off every hose, jet etc? You have to completely disassemble it there is more to it then just the obvious, and the jets

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Still no luck with raptor. I have adjusted the screws all way in and backed them out a little bit.. backfires thru the intake.. tried running them out a little bit farther and it back fires out the exhaust with a flame. no idea what to do. I went and bought a new sparkplug for it to see if it changed anything.. i did not.
you would think turning the screw 3 turns out it would run fine, but its not.
And what size are the pilots................

·
Registered
2,121 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No.. The mains i think they are.. Is 140s and the pilots are the 22.5 as stated before on pilots. I finally got it the air fuel mixture to where it runs good 3.25 turns. Still have to hold throttle wide oPen to get it to start... Main jet 140. Pilot 22.5 which i believe are factory. As said before.. I took every jet out took the sliders completely out and took the air fuel screws out. Everything was basically disassembled except throttle blades. Still lost on why it wont start up with out wot.. Unless like have read around on forum.. Due to lack of compression but it does not seem to lack in that department lol

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
No.. The mains i think they are.. Is 140s and the pilots are the 22.5 as stated before on pilots. I finally got it the air fuel mixture to where it runs good 3.25 turns. Still have to hold throttle wide oPen to get it to start... Main jet 140. Pilot 22.5 which i believe are factory. As said before.. I took every jet out took the sliders completely out and took the air fuel screws out. Everything was basically disassembled except throttle blades. Still lost on why it wont start up with out wot.. Unless like have read around on forum.. Due to lack of compression but it does not seem to lack in that department lol
Put in some 25 pilots and set it to 2 turns on the fuel screws........

1 - 20 of 119 Posts