Raptor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Need some help I have the chance to pick-up an 03 raptor 660 for 1,300. Just not sure if the bike is worth it. Here is what the add says "03 raptor 660 runs fine..very fast..good tires..extra seat..some extra plastic...only needs battery or battery charged..will push start or jump start..and ride..has been sitting so may need basic matinence but it still runs great."

Attachments

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Hello. Need some help I have the chance to pick-up an 03 raptor 660 for 1,300. Just not sure if the bike is worth it. Here is what the add says "03 raptor 660 runs fine..very fast..good tires..extra seat..some extra plastic...only needs battery or battery charged..will push start or jump start..and ride..has been sitting so may need basic matinence but it still runs great."
Sounds decent if it looks good................:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I don't mind routine maintenance even though I've only worked on 2 strokes. Just don't want to buy something that requires major motor work. Any tell tale signs the of serious engine wear or damage. Owner claims it doesn't smoke, shifts thru all gears, good power, mainly cosmetic damage. Someone used sandpaper on plastic so it looks pretty bad.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Thanks, I don't mind routine maintenance even though I've only worked on 2 strokes. Just don't want to buy something that requires major motor work. Any tell tale signs the of serious engine wear or damage. Owner claims it doesn't smoke, shifts thru all gears, good power, mainly cosmetic damage. Someone used sandpaper on plastic so it looks pretty bad.
If you can, take it for a ride, and let it run through each gear, see if it will pop out of any gear, then in the higher gears apply power and drop the clutch a bit heavy and see if the clutch slips, listen for any unusual knocks or ticks from the engine, this engine is very torquey and if it is stock shouldnt rev much passed 74 to 7500...........

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I'm just nervous. I know how much my 2 strokes are worth when I sell them and won't take less, this seems worth more than 1300. Don't want to get burnt. I guess I'll make my mind up by 10pm. Any other pro's or con's are welcome
Thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
Willy, correct me if I am wrong. Without a charged battery you will not know if it has a bad one way. This could be the reason for the pop start. Also look infront of the shifter at the VIN #. I believe the 10th digit is the year. Always good to verify.

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
Thanks. I'm just nervous. I know how much my 2 strokes are worth when I sell them and won't take less, this seems worth more than 1300. Don't want to get burnt. I guess I'll make my mind up by 10pm. Any other pro's or con's are welcome
Thanks
What do you have?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Willy, correct me if I am wrong. Without a charged battery you will not know if it has a bad one way. This could be the reason for the pop start. Also look infront of the shifter at the VIN #. I believe the 10th digit is the year. Always good to verify.
You can always boost it to start it.............with a car.............:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The owner has a jump box or battery charger that he will use to start it so i can ride it and check it out. I asked him if i need to bring a battery he said no it starts fine from his battery charger and starter works fine. I don't have any bike right now. I just sold my KX250.

·
Registered
521 Posts
i paid $1500 for mine.. a few days later the engine got taken out for a rebuild... and $1700 more down the road.. I got a few small issues left (starter solenoid and radiator pin hole)... but she runs good ha.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts