Raptor Forum banner

04 660 axle nut stripped /stuck?

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Merc4now 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm breaking down a parts Raptor I got with my last buy one of the big items people seem to email about locally is the axle. I have two questions if you guys could help me.

#1 If the axle nuts get cross threaded coming off is the axle ruined?

#2 how would I get a crossed threaded nut off?

It's the bigger of the two nuts the first smaller one was a pain in the but to get off but did and I think it started the cross threading (think metal on metal squealing). but it came off. The bigger one is stuck mid second set of threads just spins (not easily at all but spins not moving either way). I removed the hex screw to start with so I don't know what caused this. Is it worth trying to get it off or is the axle ruined and just cut it to clear it of the carriage so I can still sale one of the two parts? Thanks guys may have a part thread up soon once everything is removed and ready for shipping.

Also I thought about a nut splitter just not sure where or how much one that big for one time use would be worth it.

#2 ·
You can always take a cut off wheel and make a few cuts then break the nut off in a few chunks. I have done this on some aircraft axle nuts.

#4 ·
Did you remove the second hex screw? There are two set screws in the outer nut. If the threads are junk then I would say the axle is junk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.